Talk

Advanced search

How much money would you give?

(7 Posts)
hercules1 Fri 24-Jul-09 18:00:45

Ds is going with a friend's family to france for 2 weeks on a caravan holiday. How much do you think I should offer to give to the family for his keep and for his spending money?

I don't want to give him too much so that he has a lot more than he needs (that would be annoying for them I'm sure) nor do I want them to have to supplement him.

hercules1 Fri 24-Jul-09 20:12:41

bump

maryz Fri 24-Jul-09 23:00:05

If I were you I would ring the parents and ask them how much they are giving their children for each day. Then maybe add enough that your son could buy icecreams all round one day, for example.

For what its worth we stayed last year in a caravan park and gave my son (aged 14) 5 euro per day - that was mostly spent on pool/video machines in the evening. It bought two drinks in the bar (or one jug of sangria on one night - don't ask!!!!!). ds2 aged 10 got 2 euro per day, but we bought him a drink.

mumblechum Sat 25-Jul-09 01:05:22

Well, you said keep, not just spending money. DS went to a festival last weekend with his friend and his parents & I gave him £30 spending money and the mum £20 for BBQ stuff, so that's £25 a day but you could probably get away with £20 a day if you don't think they'll be eating out much.

nickschick Sat 25-Jul-09 01:09:21

If I were you Id ask the mum what she thinks is a reasonable amount probably she will suggest less than you think so you can say well im happy to give you x amount ....then just say with regards to the spending money how much will her ds have and give your son a similar amount plus ten pounds for ice creams for everyone one day and twenty pounds for emergency use only.

hercules1 Sat 25-Jul-09 09:01:57

Thanks for the good ideas. Very helpful. I really like the idea of buying a round of icecreams!

mumoverseas Tue 28-Jul-09 17:26:57

2 & 5 euros a day won't buy much in France now. We've just got back and the place we stayed charged 2.50 for an ice cream and 2.60 for a diet coke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now