Talk

Advanced search

Family Recipes

(10 Posts)
mummyflood Sat 20-Jun-09 19:22:11

Can anyone recommend a good, straightforward, family cookbook for DS's, 15 & 13? The idea is that they can do some cooking during the summer hols, including planning, shopping, etc. DS1 is doing GCSE food technology & has asked if he can do some of this at home, DS2 likes cooking/baking anyway.

TIA!
MF

Rialentless Sat 20-Jun-09 22:56:27

My DS1 (12) likes the Sam Stern books.
I've seen lots of recommendations on MN for the Jamie Ministry book, but I don't have it as I'm not a fan. I was flicking through DHs "delicious" mag earlier and it's quite good as it has a section on shopping for the week and a weeks menus, then a section on using up the leftovers of the shopping afetr you've made the recipes IYSWIM.

BodenGroupie Sun 21-Jun-09 11:45:50

My two DDs love the Nigella books but I'm not sure if they'd have the same appeal for boys. Anything by Jamie Oliver seems to go down well.

Glad to see boys being encouraged!

MrKrabs Sun 21-Jun-09 11:48:47

sam stern to utterly irritating though.
i say Jamie MOF

macherie Sun 21-Jun-09 11:53:09

Jamies dinners is quite good, as it gives you basic recipes like tomatoe sauce or pesto, and than lots of different ways to use them and variations on the basic recipe.

I am cookbookaholic, but for baking my most well thumbed book is my mums old good housekeeping cooking encyclopedia type book. It has hundreds of recipes and lots of photos for each one.

pointydog Sun 21-Jun-09 12:04:37

yeah jamie's MOF good simple stuff

mummyflood Sun 21-Jun-09 19:10:23

OK, so it's Jamie Oliver all the way then! Think DS1 has said he quite likes watching him on the telly in the past.

Rialentless, the 'delicious' mag sounds interesting, will look at that too. Also have remembered an ancient Good Housekeeping book I (used to?) have - will have to see if I still have it after the floods!!

Thanks a lot everyone.

Rialentless Sun 21-Jun-09 21:51:00

Good Food mag do features for kids too (maybe not every issue?) As a non-foodie I find it quite patronising, but DH enjoys reading it

janeite Sun 21-Jun-09 21:53:26

The Sam Stern books have decent food and no-nonsense recipes. They were clearly written by his mother trying to sound 'cool' though imho and the photographs of moody middle-class teenagers get a bit wearing.

The books by the Australian Woman's weekly publishers are good.

Rialentless Sun 21-Jun-09 23:23:10

I agree the "coolness" is a bit too much/forced (but IMO so is Jamie, but as I have already said, I am in no way a food/cooking fan). I suppose it is aimed at teenagers so appeals to the target audience? DS1 made the garlic and herb/lemon roast chicken with roast potatoes and baked carrots on NYE (all his own work) and it was delishsmile He wants to make chocolate mousse next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now