Talk

Advanced search

Do you let your teenage daughter go to school or wear Laddered Black Tights..?

(18 Posts)
mother2daughters Sun 05-Oct-08 10:59:20

Black opaque Tights ..how bad do they have to be before you refuse to let your daughter wear them..ps she is 17 yrs of age.

HRHSaintMamazon Sun 05-Oct-08 11:01:00

If they have a visible ladder or hole then they shoudl be in the bin.

unlesss she is specifically going for the 'i just got dragged through a thorn bush' look

SaintRiven Sun 05-Oct-08 11:01:36

dunno about 'letting them'. 17 yo is practically adult.

Lauriefairycake Sun 05-Oct-08 11:02:10

is it a cool thing ? or a lazy thing?

<baffled>

If cool, I would let her express herself however she liked. I mean, it's tights,not a mohican.

If lazy, how about a bonding 'darning' session grin

brimfull Sun 05-Oct-08 11:49:06

my dd is nearly 17-i can't tell her what to wear but I would say if i thought it looked particularly shite

BodenGroupie Sun 05-Oct-08 13:19:25

Ah, so it's not just my daughters! Perhaps it's a fashion we're too old to understand. I tell them they look awful but it's not a battle worth fighting imho.

Lauriefairycake Sun 05-Oct-08 15:07:18

Do you not remember the Bros era - where everyone wore ripped to hell jeans, frayed everywhere

or worse - 3 years before when stonewash was in? worn with puffed, reversible jumpers with kittens/puppies on?

The ripped tights look ain't so bad in comparison grin. At least there wearing a skirt over it and going out practically naked isn't so fash anymore.

BodenGroupie Sun 05-Oct-08 15:41:01

I definitely think it's preferable to the over the knee socks with very short skirt look some of the girls are wearing round here at the moment shock

mumeeee Sun 05-Oct-08 17:29:11

DD3 is 16.5 and I don't tell her what to wear.

JulieAbbott Sat 02-Jul-11 20:02:08

My Eldest Daughter of 15 yrs 10 Months and I don't tell her what to wear

JulieAbbott Sat 02-Jul-11 20:04:16

My Youngest Daughter of 13 Yrs 8 Months and if she appears to have holes on her Tights and she is going to School. I tell her to go and change them and chuck the ones with holes in away. She does so.

Restrainedrabbit Sat 02-Jul-11 20:10:57

Oh GOD yes the arse skimming skirt and knee high black sock look is in here and makes me heave my bosom and tut in the way my Granny used to shock DH gets all embarrassed driving past (we have two girls and a boy) and Mary Whitehouse-ish about it all.

TheThrill Sat 02-Jul-11 20:12:20

Usually let her if the ladder isn't too bad but then she picks at them during the day and they end up in the bin. Agree it looks awful.

fuckmepinkandCALLmegoran Sat 02-Jul-11 20:12:30

At 17 surely it's up to her?

Maryz Sun 03-Jul-11 12:18:33

It's a fashion thing shock.

I accidentally throw them out if I find them in the washing machine. She hasn't (yet) got to the point where she deliberately ladders them, but I fear it is coming hmm.

dd is only 14 so still listens to me occasionally most of the time.

fuckmepinkandCALLmegoran Sun 03-Jul-11 13:13:46

I buy the cheapie black ladies opaques from Tescos they're cheap as chips so if they ladder I don't mind so much

Schtum Sun 03-Jul-11 20:55:48

My daughters are 17 and 15 and if I see them going out through the front door wearing tights with hole and ladders in them, I can't help myself - I have to say something.

I think it looks absolutely awful. I wince when I see people with ladders it makes me think that, since they're so slovenly, perhaps they don't bother to wash either or wear clean clothes. Yuck. This is why I do a war dance whenever I see my girls with tights like this. Horrid.

I am sorry to tell you that they take absolutely no notice of me.

MJennieJ Wed 06-Jul-11 23:14:20

My dds take no notice but as the tights come through the wash I ladder check and chuck'em in the bin. Keeps it down a bit. Actually I think this might be a case of "don't sweat the small stuff"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now