Talk

Advanced search

Car insurance - is it true you can't add teens to you own policy now?

(24 Posts)
tatt Mon 22-Sep-08 17:37:52

Been told by a friend that up to age 25 they now have to have their own, separate, insurance on the car and it wil cost 2000 pounds for a boy and 800 for a girl. Might mean neither of them learn!

mumblechum Mon 22-Sep-08 17:39:33

That doesn't sound quite right. My sec was saying today that her 20 year old only costs £120 a year extra on her policy, as he's been on it since 16 (moped rider).

tatt Mon 22-Sep-08 17:46:25

is he still on a moped? We were talking about teenagers and cars.

Lilymaid Mon 22-Sep-08 17:47:37

We are in the process of adding DS2 (aged 17) to my car insurance. It can still be done - though I believe that not all insurance companies will do so. I think it will cost us an extra £20 or so per month but the excess on the policy goes up considerably. However, we have insured with this company for years and you wouldn't be able to get this deal on the open market. Once they have passed the test you need to inform insurance company as the insurance will then change again.

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Mon 22-Sep-08 17:52:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Mon 22-Sep-08 17:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 22-Sep-08 17:54:37

I tried to get ds1 on my insurance,i have a Yaris. Cheapest quote was £3412.

Could not fucking believe it!!!

tatt Mon 22-Sep-08 22:41:38

intresting variation here. Guess we'll just have to ask whoever we're with when the time comes. It isn't going to be our current insurer, Liverpool Victoria.

RustyBear Mon 22-Sep-08 22:47:10

I think the point is you can't insure a teenager as an extra driver on a car that they will actually be the main driver on.
Adding Ds(20) & DD(18), neither of whom has yet taken their test, to my 03 Fiesta cost an extra £285.

aGalChangedHerName Tue 23-Sep-08 08:19:48

Rusty i am the main driver on my Yaris. DS1 would have been driving occasionally for practice. It was still that price. I did check because i was astounded that they would charge sooo much!!

ScotsLassDownSouth Tue 23-Sep-08 09:26:33

I have added my DS (18) onto my policy. I used to pay just under £200 fully comp for me and DH - we now pay over £1000 . . .

amicissima Sat 27-Sep-08 15:59:43

Generally, adding your DC multiplies your premium by 3 for a girl and by 5 for a boy. (It's all done on claim statistics!) They are watching out for you insuring a DC as a named driver on your policy when, in fact, the DC will be the main driver - that is fraud.

Watch out for companies that give you a cheap quote for a learner (always accompanied by nervous parent) and then hike up the premium when the test is passed and s/he is off alone.

Some companies let named drivers earn their own no-claims bonus, which could be useful in a few years.

girlsnextdoor Mon 29-Sep-08 09:01:52

yes you can add them- my son has been added to mine but it can wack up the premium a lot and for some cars they won't insure them anyway.

3littlefrogs Tue 30-Sep-08 19:07:37

Most companies will only offer 3rd party for the under 25 driver, even if you are paying for fully comp.

SugarBird Wed 01-Oct-08 21:51:41

We put DS1 on our insurance (Peugeot 206) last year as his 18th birthday present and it bumped the total cost up to almost £2000 shock. We've been quoted even more to renew it on his 19th birthday and are now shopping around...

HotFlush Wed 01-Oct-08 23:20:52

It was not excessively expensive to add my 17yo DS to my insurance when he was learning. It was when he passed his test that the premium rocketed. I was upfront with the insurance company and said he'd be the main driver after he'd passed. They didn't like it at all - insinuated that if he had an accident he may not be insured. We stuck with the policy for the remainder of the year. Shopped around for a good quote for him to insure the car himself - Churchill came out top but it was still £2000ish. (Some companies wouldn't touch him as a 17yr old with diabetes was too high risk for them). He has a 1.8ltr Focus and I even looked at changing the car for a smaller engined one, but it would not have made much difference to the premium. Still, at least I know the Focus has a host of good safety features and he's building up a ncd of his own.

Milliways Thu 02-Oct-08 19:18:55

SOme companies wouldn't let us add DD to our policy, so we shopped around!

Elephant.co.uk (same company as Admiral) were very helpful and advised us that going fully comp was cheaper than 3rd party!! It's true, we re-quoted with other companies. They load 3rd party policies with Teens as think Teens will do all the driving, whereas the fully comp policies don't!

DD also gets her own no-claims bonus.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 03-Oct-08 15:53:18

I'm shopping around for insurance on a small car (not yet bought, value from £500 to £1000) for DS2 (18, just passed test). I'm not seeing much under £1500 TPFT on a 1 litre Corsa, a Fiesta 1.1 or a Ka 1.3. He will be using it daily. Surprisingly, the Ka is cheapest so far, though it has the biggest engine of the three. Interesting about the fully comp thing though, I shall re-hunt.

bubbles4 Fri 03-Oct-08 20:55:28

When ds1 passed his test we managed to insure him on a 1.1 metro 3rd party,fire and theft for£900 with quinn insurance,found them through confused.com.When somebody rearended him,they gave us all the help we needed even though he was only third party.As no claim was made against him,they gave him 50% no claims discount for the second year,I would highly recommen them.

Milliways Fri 03-Oct-08 21:42:44

Quinn were competitive but wouldn't let me add DD to a policy on my car - I would have to transfer ownership to her which is no good. I still drive it & she will be at Uni next year.

It cost me just under £700 to add DD on her 17th birthday to ins on my old Peugeot 106, but we are fully comp & she gets her own no claims.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 03-Oct-08 21:48:08

As long as you are still the main driver then should be know problem, there have been cases where parenst were putting themselves as main driver on children's car so to get cheaper insurance.

WendyWeber Fri 03-Oct-08 21:53:52

Another vote for Elephant here, although DD2 is 23, not a teenager; fully comp on her own Ka, with DH & me as named drivers, cost about £650 before she passed her test & another 100+ afterwards.

Thing is that there is a national database where they can find out if you already have a car insured in your own name, so adding another but with a teenage "named driver" looks suspicious.

WendyWeber Fri 03-Oct-08 21:57:22

Previously, adding either DD on to our 2.0 Zafira insurance was about £35 a month - mind you they were both still over 21 - that makes a big difference apparently.

I quite liked them not being able to drive themselves until they were older, & they weren't bothered; but then where we live they didn't need to drive themselves at a younger age.

Milliways Fri 03-Oct-08 21:59:15

That's our trouble, DH & I both have other cars, but we kept this 106 as would get nothing if we sold it, it is very cheap to run, and we use it to take DS to the swimming pool several times a week (parking is awfully tight) and for running the dog in!

It goeas anywhere we don't want to take a decent car to grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now