Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dd 15 swinging the lead?

(5 Posts)
missingtheaction Sat 20-Sep-08 08:43:26

DD has a bit of a sore throat (probably, because I have it too) but nothing death-defying. But every morning she claims she is feeling v ill and needs to stay at home. she managed to skive a day off yesterday and we've had to be very firm to get her to school today (yes, saturday mornings at her school).

Now either
1) she really feels ill. Don't think it is that bad - no temperature and she is fine when she gets home
2) she is generally run down because of trouble getting her to bed
3) she is just skiiving
4) there is something going on at school

Suspect a mix of all the above. Strategies to get her talking please, but also to get her to accept that a minor illness like a slight sore throat is not a viable excuse for a day off school.

Thanks mums.

Podrick Sat 20-Sep-08 08:52:13

swinging the lead?

never heard that expression before!

moyasmum Sat 20-Sep-08 09:08:57

podrick ,where have you been?

mta,dont know the answer to this one, does she make a "spontaneous"recovery when its too late to get to school?
Sounds like its a job for mum -toast -chocolate-daughter conversation.
I/dd1 (14)perminantly misunderstand each other.occasionally it clears under the influence of choc and toast chats.

Podrick Sun 21-Sep-08 09:12:13

well strangely I heard this expression at a party yesterday!

if my dd stays home ill and I suspect she is not that bad then I try to make sure that being at home is very dull. No TV / computer games etc. However my dd is 8 so I would be at home with her when she is off sick and I don't know if this would be the case for you?

As for getting her to talk, I suggest spend some one to one time and play with her - and let her choose what to play and how to play it - and then you will understand what the problem is. Adult women naturally communicate through talk but kids naturally communicate through play - try getting on to her channel and not trying to shift her onto your channel iyswim?

Soon2bMumJ9 Wed 24-Sep-08 13:40:34

I agree make it boring - no TV/INTERNET/TELEPHONE CALLS etc and in Bed by 9pm.

It might be worth if it goes on trying to see if their is an issue at school she is trying to stay away from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now