Talk

Advanced search

Money for 18 year old

(6 Posts)
missingtheaction Thu 28-Aug-08 22:40:07

DS has just come back from enrolling at college to restart A levels. Went intending to enrol for one, is doing A2 of another with tutor/self teaching. Plan was to do these two and get part time job to fund himself in life in general.

Came back from college enrolled for 3 A levels!! am delighted, although do expect one to disappear by Xmas.

So he is now studying for 4 A levels. He needs money to get to and from college by car (no public transport option from here), lunches, fund limited social life etc. Is it reasonable to expect him to get a job? How much will he need? Would you give him an allowance? Help!

Lilymaid Thu 28-Aug-08 22:44:14

Yes, he should have a part time job - 1 day per week at least. I would pay for his travel costs and a small allowance for lunches but expect him to fund his own social life. As far as clothes are concerned I've tended to go half and half with my DSs - I pay for occasional items, they then buy "the t-shirt" etc.
It rather depends on how much you can afford, but even if you have plenty of money, your DS should expect to have to work to finance his social life.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 28-Aug-08 22:54:10

Is he entitled to EMA?

I would expect him to get a job, yes.

juuule Fri 29-Aug-08 07:59:12

Do you still receive family allowance for him? Could you give him that?

And yes he should get a part-time job.

Anna8888 Fri 29-Aug-08 08:04:29

I think that you should support your DS in his studies and make a contribution (depending on your finances) in the form of a monthly allowance towards travel to college, lunches, books and stationery (if he needs to pay for these himself) plus a couple of outfits. Be very clear to your DS that you are supportive of his A-levels and give him loads of verbal encouragement.

He needs to get a part-time job to make up the difference and to fund his social life, however.

If he works hard and does well, you can reward him by buying him extra clothes etc for Christmas, birthday or after exam results.

mumeeee Fri 29-Aug-08 17:38:01

DD2 18 has a a saturday job she is not going to university until next year. We don't give her an allowence anymore but do pay for her Drama club and she is thinking about doing another A level at evening class which we will pay for as we class that as helping her to get to uni. Sh now has to pay for all other stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now