Talk

Advanced search

what is the legal age for babysitting?

(19 Posts)
crispyduck Thu 17-Jul-08 17:16:00

14 year old daughter wants baby sitting job in school holidays...anyone pls advice..thx

FluffyMummy123 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:17:07

Message withdrawn

KatyMac Thu 17-Jul-08 17:18:27

There isn't one - if you leave your child (under 18) at home alone or with someone under 18 then you are legally responsible for their actions

WendyWeber Thu 17-Jul-08 17:19:34

I don't either but there would the same proviso re leaving your own kids home alone - if something went wrong & they are under 16 (?) who would be considered legally responsible.

14 plenty old enough for daytime minding I think.

WendyWeber Thu 17-Jul-08 17:20:46

Is it 18, katym? I was thinking it must be 16 since they can legally be married & have their own house & kids by then grin

crispyduck Thu 17-Jul-08 17:21:34

do u think social services would know?

PrimulaVeris Thu 17-Jul-08 17:22:19

I think it is 14 - that's the folklore round here but not sure myself.

Legal responsibility lies with parents if under 16 or 18 (cant remember age cut-off)

Local secondary schools run first aid courses for students looking at doing babysitting.

KatyMac Thu 17-Jul-08 17:22:35

It is 18 - in law (bizarre)

WendyWeber Thu 17-Jul-08 17:23:52

Here you go, cd - raisingkids.co.uk -

<<Parents must use common sense when deciding who to leave their children with, and this is usually read to mean that babysitters should be aged over 14 and ideally be 16 or over.>>

smile

WendyWeber Thu 17-Jul-08 17:25:14

That is bizarre - is it an old law that hasn't been updated???

crispyduck Thu 17-Jul-08 17:27:26

thx

Loriycs Thu 17-Jul-08 17:29:28

dont know if theres a legal age, just need to consider the maturity of the sitter and the ages of the children to be cared for. Would the sitter know what to do if the child was choking for example?
I wouldnt leave my toddler with a 14 year old personally. Its down to parental responsibility at the end of the day.

crispyduck Thu 17-Jul-08 17:30:15

she wants to earn cash to top up her mobile phone lol

crispyduck Thu 17-Jul-08 17:32:40

she is mature enough but i would not let her do it all day iyswim

IHadABetterNameButYouStoleIt Thu 17-Jul-08 17:44:25

i did evening babysitting at that age but the dcs were older, 7 and 9 i think, cant really remember and all i had to was let them watch tv for a bit, give them some milk and toast for supper and read a story to the younger when i put her to bed about an hour after i got there!

though tbh they were always up longer than an hour. so long as it wasnt a school night! staying up late is the best part of being babysat!!!!! grin or it was to me when i was kid and being allowed to watch basic instinct!! though i suspect that i would not be very happy at all if i found out that my babysitter had let my 11 year old watch that film!!!

actually after what i have just posted re my old babysitters it will depend upon how mature she is. when i was babysitting the dcs were lucky if they got to watch anything other than the cartoon channel and certainly never watched any films rated more than pg. but my babysitters let me watch anything i liked. my sister was horrified after watching steven kings it with our babysitter!! she was only 7!!

Milliways Thu 17-Jul-08 17:59:04

My DD started babysitting at 14, but no babies - just friends older kids from church! I also made sure I was in so she could call me if worried. Once she turned 16 she became very popular as had experience!
She also sat for half days in the holidays and took the kids to the park etc whilst their Mum was at work (but only because those children could be trusted crossing roads etc).

mumeeee Thu 17-Jul-08 23:30:08

It is under 16

Loriycs Fri 18-Jul-08 20:27:03

oh youve just reminded me of a babysitter that looked after me as a kid and made me watch hammer house of horror! - i was terrified and didnt tell my mum for years as i thought that i would be in trouble!!!

sunnydelight Sat 19-Jul-08 12:01:19

There is no legal age. RSPCC used to recommend 13, not sure if that's still the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now