Talk

Advanced search

Teens/first holidays/budgeting

(5 Posts)
anastasia74 Mon 30-Jun-08 19:51:42

DD 17 has booked to go to Canaries in 2 months with a group of friends. I've paid for her flight and accommodation, under the understanding that she pays me back when she is paid, At first the agreement was that she was going to pay it all back in one go, but then decided on £50 a month hmm(she has a p/t w/end job). My problem is my dh and myself cannot agree how much we get her to contribute towards hol. and also take responsibity for saving up. My dh suggested that we foot the bill for holiday and then make it very clear that she has to save hard for her spending money. But what if she hardly manages to save anything, we will still have to help her out. I can hardly see her going away under funded. My dh thinks its a lesson of life. Any thoughts on this one. Am I being soft (again).

CasperGhost Mon 30-Jun-08 20:03:53

I would be sneaky, and tell her she has to pay you back and then just before the holiday give her the money she 'paid you back' in Euros. The key to this is NOT TELLING HER that this is what you are going to do.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Jul-08 17:46:13

Does the holiday include part-board? If so, you've already paid for her flights, accommodation and food. She'll survive. Anything else she has to fund herself - do not "help her out", as all you'll be teaching her is to fall back on mummy and daddy when the going gets tough.

At 17, what would she be spending momey on anyway? Nightclubs and booze? hmm

(Also a mother of a 17 year old)

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Jul-08 17:47:10

PS At 17, I left home, moved into student digs and became responsible for my own budgeting, paying bills etc. It can be done.

anastasia74 Tue 01-Jul-08 22:25:26

After a reality check/heated debate with dh and me, I think the penny has finally dropped - she has realised that she could be a fortnight without much money, so is working extra shifts while not at college. So, hopefully, will not have much time to spendhmm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »