Talk

Advanced search

public transport for 16-year-olds - does it have to be this complicated?

(13 Posts)
CoffeeCrazedMama Fri 20-Jun-08 15:09:18

dd1 (aged 16) got fined the other day travelling home from her school (in her own clothes, which make her look older, of course) for travelling on a child's ticket.

I steamed up to the station with her passport and was informed that (if we looked closely) her photocard had lapsed on her 16th birthday. The fact she is in full time education (just finished GCSE but staying at same school for 6th form) apparently makes no difference. And her junior Oyster card - 'that's TFL, nothing to do with us' (Southern trains).

From what I can see there is no system of allowing full-time school students discount travel? Can this be true? I have just got a headache searching public transport websites to find out what a school student is supposed to do once they are 16. Her financial situation hasn't changed, she is still at school. She just went to something at school this afternoon and had to buy a full-price ticket. Apparently the chap in the ticket office 'just shouted at me' when she asked about student discounts.

Does any one have any streamlined knowledge of what we are supposed to do?

hanaflowerisnothana Fri 20-Jun-08 15:28:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortington Fri 20-Jun-08 15:33:08

ring 08457 4849 50

and ask them

they are quite helpful - and i they thik that southern trains will be able to help you further they will also give you thei number too

HTH

3littlefrogs Fri 20-Jun-08 15:37:08

It is true. They have to pay full fare on the trains. It is really annoying. When they go to University they can get a student railcard, but can only use it at very restricted times - certainly not to travel to and from lectures if they start at 9ish and finish between 4 and 5ish. Ds2 can use his 16 plus oyster card on the tube and the bus, but not trains.

Ds1 is at 6th form college and has to pay £6 a day on train fares. If we lived half a mile further north he would get subsidised fares - different county.

CoffeeCrazedMama Fri 20-Jun-08 16:05:46

Thanks for the useful info. (Though a young person's railcard is not much use, Hana, as dd needs to catch train at peak time in morning. And £25!!!)

shock at £6, 3littlefrogs - that is what dd claims it costs her now too! Where I grew up (other side of planet) we had free transport to and from school for all of school years, and many of us travelled long distances. May have changed now. I'll certainly ring that number, Custardo.

Looks like I might actually have saved money if I'd sent her to the private school that is walking distance from home instead of the state one a train ride away! grin

hanaflowerisnothana Fri 20-Jun-08 16:13:29

CoffeeCrazedMama Fri 20-Jun-08 16:14:10

Just rang the number Custardo suggested. Yes, she has to pay adult fare. Best option they suggested was a season ticket - at £528 for the year! Apparently they are classed as adult, full-time education notwithstanding.

Its funny, you don't realise when they turn 16 that to the rest of the world they are now an adult. To me (and to the teachers at school!) she is still a little girl.

3littlefrogs Fri 20-Jun-08 16:16:19

It is shocking. Especially if he gets there and finds the tutor hasn't turned up and lectures are cancelled. Thank goodness, he has done his last A level today.

CoffeeCrazedMama Fri 20-Jun-08 16:17:28

Cross-post Hana - the chap on the phone told me that the with that card the journey has to be at least £8 for the discount, too.

I do think it is a bit stingy. Another reason to loathe the train system.

Funnily enough, you can still get a discount with an oyster on buses and tubes. So not such an adult there!

hanaflowerisnothana Fri 20-Jun-08 16:18:53

mumeeee Fri 20-Jun-08 17:18:39

You can get a young ppersons rail card from the age of 16. Also some Local Authorities do a reduced fare bus pass for students in 6th form or college.

seimum Sun 22-Jun-08 23:37:23

My daughter has to get the bus home from school in Slough. Her bus to Uxbridge is run by First bus from Slough, and she would have to pay full adult fare £3 (if she didn't look young for her age). However, her school mates who live in Hounslow - same distance, but taking a London-based bus, travel free with an Oyster card.
Oh for a joined-up system!

motheroftwoboys Wed 25-Jun-08 14:24:44

I have this problem coming up with DS2. He is 16 in July but just going in to Year 11 in September so will be in full time school for another 3 years. ATM he gets subsidised travel - 70p a journey which is great but once he is 16 he doesn't qualify for this even though he is still at school! It really doesn't make sense. He does qualify for "student" discount but this means I will have to buy a monthly travel card for £55!shock Another problem is that is EXTREMELY forgetful and loses things all the time so dread him having a monthly card.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »