Talk

Advanced search

how did you know when your teen dd needed a

(11 Posts)
2shoes Thu 19-Jun-08 21:10:36

bra.
dd is 13 and hs sn so I not sure when to get her one(no interest from her yet)
how did you know. did your dd ask?
or did you get one when she got to a certain size.
oh yikes I am stuck

Milliways Thu 19-Jun-08 21:13:43

I think my DD was fairly typical in demanding a bra way before she ever needed one grin In Yr6 she had to have cropped top tye vests with bra straps.

Is she in a mainstream school? If so, I should imagine all the 13 yr old girls are wearing them by now.

If not, and she doesn't show, then let her stay comfortable?

Milliways Thu 19-Jun-08 21:14:27

Sorry - Type vests, not tye vests!

RubyRioja Thu 19-Jun-08 21:15:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissingMyHeels Thu 19-Jun-08 21:16:52

Just asked my DSis aged 15 and she said they started in yr6 but by 13 everyone wore them. If she isn't bothered and isn't getting grief I wouldn't worry, put it off as long as possible!!

2shoes Thu 19-Jun-08 21:55:28

she is getting a bust
small but there.
we tried crop tops but they ride up too much.
I was just going to get some cami vest thingies so that the boys didn't get an eyefull.
she is in a sn school.
will it hurt if i leave it untill she is readyor will they need support straight away?

missblythe Thu 19-Jun-08 21:59:06

If she has got anything to put in a bra, get her one.

This would be fine while she's still smal,, and won't ride up like teh crop-tops

M&S

Enjoy taking her to be measured-is a rite of passage for any girl (and her mum), SN or not

SmugColditz Thu 19-Jun-08 22:06:59

If you can tell she is getting a bust, she needs a cra. It cvan be quite painful.

I'd advice not to get an underwired or nylon though, like my mum did for me, as it can be a big shock to go from nothing to a scratchy bony bra.

Sounds like she needs a soft cotton t shirt bra.

mumonthenet Thu 19-Jun-08 22:15:12

maybe be prepared to supply one or two for when she suddenly realises that wearing one is cool/everyone's doing it/she wants to feel grown up.

Chuck a couple in her wardrobe for when that time comes. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about how well fitting they are at the mo. I keep supplying those crop top ones to my two younger dd's (11 and 12) and I reckon they only wear them when they think they'll be on show and they'll feel a bit babyish without one.

nooka Thu 19-Jun-08 22:16:18

I've never worn one. If you are small it's not really necessary (I don't even wear one for sport, only very occasionally for a few special outfits that particularly need one). I hate bras! But then I've never been more than a B cup. If she's not saying it is a problem, and she doesn't obviously need support, then your cami top idea would work well.

2shoes Fri 20-Jun-08 08:41:22

thanks folks
I will hang on until the winter(in the summer she will insist on wearing as little as poss) if ds's gf is still arround might get her help as dd adores her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »