Talk

Advanced search

Why do i get called karen

(13 Posts)
vapeinafleshlight Thu 03-Sep-20 17:28:33

Well you're not gonna win with either Susan or Karen thanks to the world of memes.

Tell them to pack it in. Arseholes

zunchie Thu 03-Sep-20 17:20:05

"Ageist". LOL.

TheSeedsOfADream Thu 03-Sep-20 15:05:14

Yes pull him up on it before he gets labelled as ageist and misogynistic. If he understands the connotations (most idiots using it are more than aware) then all the more so.

IamKaren Thu 03-Sep-20 15:02:51

I must point out I am definitely not a racist and do not have a bob cut but I often speak to managers.

IamKaren Thu 03-Sep-20 15:00:14

My name is actually Karen. My eldest thinks all this is great and that someone met me and described me and that's how it all started. So I am the original Karen. I admit I do have some similar characteristics to those described in the definition of Karen so he could be right. I now think twice before giving my first name as it's getting so popular now I wait for the reaction.

Luckingfovely Thu 03-Sep-20 11:50:58

It is not flattering. And is the subject of many memes and jokes.

One of my best friends is called Karen and it makes me bristle on her behalf!

Luckingfovely Thu 03-Sep-20 11:50:08

"
Description
Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived as entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others."

PatriciaHolm Thu 03-Sep-20 11:49:41

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)

W00t Thu 03-Sep-20 11:48:59

You need to pull him up on his ageism. I wouldn't let my children speak to me like that.

SusanGrey78 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:47:58

What does it mean

OP’s posts: |
SusanGrey78 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:42:36

Never heard of it

LadyCatStark Thu 03-Sep-20 11:41:27

😂 it’s a ‘thing’ nowadays. Haven’t you heard?

SusanGrey78 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:40:30

My son and his friends are always laughing and calling me Karen does anyone here understand this language as it confuses me as my name is Susan?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in