Talk

Advanced search

DD has had large sums of money put into her account

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MummyInTheNecropolis Sat 04-Jul-20 17:50:13

I noticed she had been spending a lot recently, and when questioned she said it was money she had saved up. I was suspicious so opened her bank statement today and she has received £500 from someone I’ve never heard of, in 6 different payments all made in the same day. She claims this must have been paid to her by mistake and she lied because she knew she shouldn’t be spending it. I don’t believe her, but I can’t think why someone would be paying her this amount?

I am planning to phone the bank but I don’t think they’ll be able to tell me much. I wondered if anyone here might have any ideas? DD is 14.

OP’s posts: |
managedmis Sat 04-Jul-20 17:51:22

She's 14 and you don't know who's giving her money?!

lemmathelemmin Sat 04-Jul-20 17:53:02

Is she making it online?

QualityFeet Sat 04-Jul-20 17:54:15

I would get someone very tech savvy to check everything possible and would contact your local police for advice. There are accidents but there are also some possibilities of exploitation either for pictures or for money laundering.

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Jul-20 17:54:22

You need to contact the bank ASAP. And shut down her internet access. And prepare to call the police.

EvilEdna1 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:54:56

Unexplained money is one of the warning signs for child sexual exploitation. Not saying this is the most likely explanation at all though.

mrsed1987 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:55:16

Anything else dodgy at all? It could be innocent but being paid sums of money screams cse/grooming/drugs

AlexaShutUp Sat 04-Jul-20 17:56:01

This is a massive safeguarding red flag. Someone is paying large sums of money to your daughter...to do what?

Personally, I be reporting this to the police. I would also sit down calmly with your dd, explain that you're worried she might be being exploited, reassure her that she will not be in any trouble if she opens up, and try as hard as you can to get the truth out of her.

ScrapThatThen Sat 04-Jul-20 17:56:40

Child sexual exploitation or county lines

JudgeRindersMinder Sat 04-Jul-20 17:56:42

I’d be very concerned about county lines drug dealing -I’m not one to jump to the most dramatic conclusion usually, but this would really concern me. I’d speak to police

lightandshade Sat 04-Jul-20 17:56:42

Exactly what Alexa said, huge red flag !!

TheBluePineapple Sat 04-Jul-20 17:56:54

There could be an completely innocent explanation that I can’t immediately think of.
My first thoughts would be grooming of some type.
How frightening for you.

netflixismysidehustle Sat 04-Jul-20 17:57:15

Something is really wrong. Have you discussed deets and squares with her?

https://www.safe4me.co.uk/2019/06/04/deets-squares-online-scam-targeting-children-as-young-as-11/

HerkyBaby Sat 04-Jul-20 17:57:23

OP this is potentially very serious. You need to contact the police as there are no adequate explanations for this money . Is your daughter going out frequently and for long periods of time?

TooMinty Sat 04-Jul-20 17:57:22

She could be acting as a money mule, you need to contact the bank. Can you confiscate her debit card in the meantime?

tara66 Sat 04-Jul-20 18:08:00

Did it get put into her account by mistake?

MummyInTheNecropolis Sat 04-Jul-20 18:08:47

She hardly ever goes anywhere without me, I always know where she is and I check her phone and haven’t seen anything concerning. I’m worried about involving the police in case she gets in trouble but I will if I don’t get anywhere with the bank.

Yankathebear Sat 04-Jul-20 18:09:34

I would be really worried

StonersPotPalace Sat 04-Jul-20 18:10:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MummyInTheNecropolis Sat 04-Jul-20 18:10:31

@netflixismysidehustle thank you for that link, I had never heard of it before, I will be discussing with DD

Yankathebear Sat 04-Jul-20 18:10:54

Not involving the police is very stupid. She could be in a lot more trouble if you don’t.

tribpot Sat 04-Jul-20 18:11:27

Money mule is what I thought of. You need to go to the police. Close the account down.

torthecatlady Sat 04-Jul-20 18:11:28

I would sit down with her and calmly say that you will not to be angry, but she needs to explain where the money is from. If not, you will need to involve the bank and possibly the police and explain your concerns.

Nixen Sat 04-Jul-20 18:11:59

Drugs or an older man

notheragain4 Sat 04-Jul-20 18:12:05

Have you told her you need to speak to the police and they will find out the truth? To maybe encourage to speak the truth before next steps.

This thread is not accepting new messages.