Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations on criminal law and criminal psychology

(4 Posts)
HopeInTheDark Fri 12-Jun-20 10:54:00

Are any other teens into criminal law and criminal psychology? What would you recommend in way of documentaries, online courses, movies, books that are age appropriate for a 13y old? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
MyBabyIsAFurBaby Fri 12-Jun-20 11:32:17

I love a bit of criminal psychology and law, and studied both at A-Level.

Having said that, I don't think 13-year-old me would have coped with a lot of the documentaries and images I saw.

If your teen is really interested in the information behind it, you could have a look at college textbooks. I used the Oxford Psychology books. These obviously aren't just about criminal psychology, but they weren't graphic, just gave different theories behind them. I would suggest the same for law textbooks.

I love the documentaries, but I have a feeling a lot of these are age-rated for 15 year olds. If you wanted to look any and vet them, I'm sure there are some on Netflix and Youtube.

HopeInTheDark Fri 12-Jun-20 12:46:57

Thank you @MyBabyIsAFurBaby

Yes that's exactly the difficulty, most documentaries (like the ones about Amanda Knox and Madeleine McCann for example) are too gruesome, and finding age appropriate ones is very hard. Hence the question. I tried to find ones that look age appropriate to me and couldn't. I can't be blaze about age ratings either because my teen has a history of self harm and this interest in criminal law comes from a more complicated mix of emotions than just mere curiosity. However if I can support her interest in a positive manner, I will.

HopeInTheDark Fri 12-Jun-20 12:50:28

Maybe there are movies about law that would be fine? She watched Legally Blonde many times and loved it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in