Talk

Advanced search

Claires Accesories...

(24 Posts)
lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 21:43:42

Goodness me, i've been in hospital today for hours!
11 days ago i had my ears pierced in claires accesories as my 16th birthday prezzie from my gran and they gave me instructions on what to do, of course, i did as it al said!...
i wokeup in the night in pain aand the stud they gave me was SO small that it had sunk into my ear lobe right to the back!!

Went into hospital today about it and they had to cut my flamming ear open to get it out, im all stitched up now. But the doctor said it was entirly their fauly cause they'd told me to clean it to often and the hole was almosr DOUBLE the size of the earring!

im so fuming now!
The doctor recons i should make a formal complaint, but i dont know if i should and how to go abput it and what to expect!!

please help!!

xx

southeastastra Sat 22-Sep-07 21:44:42

write a letter pronto. claire's accessories is a scuzzy place

lou33 Sat 22-Sep-07 21:51:19

thought at claires you chose the type of stud you wanted, and the final price depended on the ones you picked?

lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 21:53:11

It does, but the studs i chose were the biggest they had there!

lou33 Sat 22-Sep-07 21:56:58

how would cleaning it too often make the hole bigger?

how often were you doing it?

lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:00:41

they said to do it 2-3 times a day which was what i did, but parently everytime your wiping it when you cleaning it the hole doesnt have time enough to dry out properly before you clean it the next time and as you wipe it it stretches then and starts sagging cause you wipe it in the direction they show you so much and so often if that makes sense..??

My mum wants m to go into claires next week and show them what a mess my ear is in now with stitches.

I had the biggest earrings they had there they were £18 and gold like you gotta have but the other earrings in the choice were even smaller!!

Tortington Sat 22-Sep-07 22:01:53

even if she chose studs too small - that they would sink int oher ears they should
a) wonder why they are selling them
b) advise heer that this might happen.

i would find out the head store off google and ring them and ask for their "formal complaints proceedure" to be sent to you.

for fucks sake don't be fobbed off with an "i;m sorry pick a free pair of earrings"

lou33 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:04:50

all very odd, definitely make a formal complaint

i got my girls ears deon int he summer hols, but at a beauty salon, they cleaned them twice a day with surgical spirit and the basic plain gold studs, and it was all fine

i did consider claires tho, but the salon was cheaper, and i got a discount on account of knowing the woman who runs it grin

Tottie32 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:08:58

when my dd had hers done last year afet a few says i noticed one had become embedded a bit, there was a fault on the earing as on peircing studs you get the thicker part which is meant to stop the back going on to far, but this one didnt and the back was pushed on to far... causing it to embed luckily i noticed before it did lasting damege

lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:09:07

The stuff they gave me isnt sergical spirit cause that evaporates, hte solution they gave me was basically salty water, with to much salt in,which i had to take back once cause i realised it was 6 months out of bloody date!
Its been such a hoohaa that tbh i dont want my ears done again.

When i spoke to my nan earlier she was like "mention trading standards they'll shit themselves'

lou33 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:10:30

i was told to use surgical spirit

i quite miss the smell of it now its been over 6 weeks

it all sounds a bit if a nightmare

Tottie32 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:13:44

i was told to use savlon on dd's

lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:14:21

It has been really!

I've waited sooo long to get them done then i get them done and this happens!!!
Doesn't seem worth the bloody hassle!

lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:15:35

Then stuff i used was claires own stuff, when we spoke to another piercing shop they said that it was called 'system 2000' which was basically just salty water with far to much salt it!

lou33 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:17:17

surgical spirit is the way to go

get them redone somewhere else like a beauty salon, send the bill to claires

lottie91 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:20:27

lol, good idea! but to be honest i dont think ill have them done again! i hate anything like that and was terrified of having them done for the first time and after having my ears cut into today i dnt think im in a hurry to risk it all again!

fizzbuzz Sun 23-Sep-07 12:45:15

Contact trading standards. If they are peddaling unsafe practices and wrong solution they are breaking the law. They should be closed on H&S grounds.

Write to head office, quoting doctors name and hosp he works at. if you contact trading standards, they can have place shut down if need be, or just go in and bollock them. Claire's is a big company, and this must be a national thing.

juuule Sun 23-Sep-07 19:45:06

2 of my dds have had their ears pierced at Claires. We were told to absolutely NOT push the back of the earing any further forward than they had done it. Even if it felt loose to leave it as the earlobe swells after being pierced and can sometimes envelop the stud if the back has been pushed on too tight. We were also given a bottle of cleaning solution in with the price. We followed their instructions and had no problems at all.
I checked the girls ears and helped them gently clean them for the first week or so until they got the hang of it.
Claires also gave us a number and instructions to return if we felt there was any hint of a problem.

lottie91 Mon 24-Sep-07 20:36:35

Yeah my nan recons i should contact trading standards.

and juule..
Where did your dd's have theres done? when i had mine does they didnt give me a number they said any hint of a problem go to my doctor cause it wasnt their responsibility once id left the shop!!

juuule Mon 24-Sep-07 20:52:22

It was in Manchester.
We were also given a follow-up date by them aswell. Although we didn't go as everything seemed okayblush

maximummummy Thu 27-Sep-07 23:53:21

OH MY GOD lottie u poor thing OUCH[SAD]

I WANNA GET MY 13YR OLD DD'S DONE BUT AFTER READING THIS I WON'T BE GOING TO CLAIRE'S!

you should sell your story(with pictures) to a magazine like take a break

dolally Fri 28-Sep-07 00:00:55

poor lottie..what an awful experience!

elfinblast Fri 28-Sep-07 00:03:54

Ouch, that sounds horrible.

As someone with multiple piercings I recommend either surgical spirit or the savlon in a squirty bottle. I've never had a problem using either of them, but I found the savlon easier.

I would make a formal complaint. Maybe the person who did your piercing wasn't trained properly.

motheroftwoboys Fri 28-Sep-07 13:33:38

My DS had his ear pierced last year at Claire's in Newcastle upon Tyne and we found them very good. We also got a card to call if there was a problem and a follow up appointment. WE never went either as all was ok. Maybe you just got a bad branch but you should complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now