Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Duke if edinburgh

(10 Posts)
1357 Sat 22-Sep-07 16:43:48

DS(14) has just signed up- is it really onerouse? What community stuff can anyone suggest for him to do?

1357 Sat 22-Sep-07 16:44:39

onerous!

Lilymaid Sat 22-Sep-07 16:48:19

My DS helped with a tennis course for younger children that he used to attend, so if your DS is involved in any sport, he could assist with classes/training for younger children.
BTW the major problem is usually the expedition - DS' teacher broke his leg and the expedition had to be postponed until this had healed and there were also problems with getting other teachers to go as well.

wheresthehamster Sat 22-Sep-07 16:56:15

dd1 (15) on expedition this weekend. Apart from attending sessions relating to this she hasn't done any sort of voluntary work although she is a St. John Ambulance cadet, maybe that counts.

Can he help out at beavers or cubs?

zebrahead Sat 22-Sep-07 16:57:02

I did bronze DofE and for the service section did some fundraising - cake sales etc - for a local charity. It's hard work, but it's really good fun as well, especially the expedition.

milliways Sat 22-Sep-07 20:38:27

DD is on her assessed silver expedition this week.

She did her bronze in YR 10 & loved it. She did her service at a local nursery, this year with the church youth group. Others did the Library, GP surgery, OAP homes, Charity shops, Rainbows/Beavers, After school clubs etc etc.

It IS worth spending a few pounds on decent equipment though. Quite a few found that a Waterproof label is not always really waterproof after a weekend of continual rain. Goretex boots were great. we also got a very tiny lightweight COleman expedition tent which at first some laughed at until they saw how much heavier the larger ones were. These tents are actually quite cheap as well.

amicissima Mon 24-Sep-07 16:52:04

Cubs/Scouts/Brownies/Beavers etc. seem to be good a taking volunteers.

If the expedition is being organised through a 'centre' rather than the school alone, the centre may have equipment it will lend. DD borrowed a tent but wasn't allowed to take it home, so (unlike her friends on a school expedition) she didn't have to carry it to and from the expedition, nor take it home to dry it out! The school might have a bit of stuff it can lend.
You could ask the year above at school if anyone can lend a tent, stove, backpack etc. to save some money, although it's nice to have his own sleeping bag, which will be useful later anway.

It's quite a commitment, but a better way to spend the time than on MySpace.

lovey Sun 30-Sep-07 09:48:32

My dd is amazing at tennis and taught little ones every saturday morning - has your ds got a skill he could teach?

heifer Sun 30-Sep-07 09:52:27

I helped at a youth club, and helped at the hospital by taking beds down to the chapel every sunday evening..

Was fun, although I don't think I got as much out of it as I could have as I would have done the community stuff anyway through the young church group etc and even the physical activities and hobbies I just used what I did already..

I bet he loves doing it...

SignificantMother Tue 02-Oct-07 11:47:29

I have just gone through the choices etc, with DD, and so if any of this helps - I am delighted.
Get them to go through ALL the choices carefully, and shortlist their favourites.
Get them to discuss with their friends who may also be doing DofE - they may prefer to do something someone else is for the company, rather than on their own.
Is there a chioce that is on the career horizon? If so, may be a good starting point.
Look at the practicalities together (i.e. can we get there, have we got time etc)
Be prepared to take a big gulp and promise to support, even if you have to get up at daft o'clock so they can "trek" somewhere!
I did DofE as a kid, and as a hopeless academic, it was 1 of my best ever things at school, so I am all for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now