Talk

Advanced search

To Protest or not to protest

(8 Posts)
WeAllHaveWings Sun 07-Jun-20 00:42:42

Unfortunately the headlines about the protests in the UK are more about the lack of social distancing than the actual reasons for the protest.

Andi2020 Sat 06-Jun-20 20:46:23

I said no to my 2 dd1 16 and dd2 15 because off covid.
I do support it and hate racism.
I allow them date different cultures and feel everyone is equal.

doorwaytoparadise Sat 06-Jun-20 15:25:49

My DDs 16 and 18 wanted to go to a protest today but I said no on the basis that our area is becoming a coronavirus hotspot and we live with a sick relative who would be extremely at risk if she contracted the virus. They’re understandably disappointed, as am I; I would support them going in any other circumstance but it’s just too risky at the moment. They’re not allowed in groups of more than 6 and from videos of protests I’ve seen there’s no social distancing going on. In the meantime they’ve been signing petitions and we’ve made a donation to a bail fund.

starrynight19 Fri 05-Jun-20 21:19:52

I have said no to my dd15 and ds18. We live in an area where the r rate is rising and I feel we have to keep to the restrictions of being in no more of a group than 6.
I understand your dilemma though and have been torn myself.
We have had lots of conversations about this. It’s difficult I agree.

1066vegan Fri 05-Jun-20 21:17:28

I'm in the same position with my 17 year old dd. She's very passionate about BLM and I think that her age she should be getting angry and be out on the streets, protesting about issues that are important to her.

At her age (way back in the 80s) I was going to a lot of CND demos so I understand. There's part of me that's really glad that she's woken up to the injustices in this world and wants to be part of a movement to change things.

But I worry. She's told me that she'd wear a mask and gloves and take hand sanitiser but I don't think she's got the experience and maturity to maintain any kind of social distancing.

wishfultinkerer Fri 05-Jun-20 20:57:19

Good idea. Raising consciousness is about more than just showing up.

OP’s posts: |
NuffSaidSam Fri 05-Jun-20 20:29:55

I would say no to going to a march at this time, but help her to contribute in another way. There is some great info around about how that can be done, books to read, causes to donate to, ways to educate yourself and others etc.

wishfultinkerer Fri 05-Jun-20 19:22:48

DD, 15, wants to participate in a Black Lives Matter protest this weekend and I feel torn. It is such a hugely important issue and I want my daughter to have a social conscience and see that she can play a part in making society more equal. But I also want to help to keep society safe right now and am really worried that any mass gathering will just spread Coronavirus and lead to more deaths. What would you do?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in