Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have a teen who doesn't seem to know who they are?

(3 Posts)
gingganggooleywotsit Wed 01-Apr-20 09:39:37

Hi my dd is 13, strange op I know, but it's like she has rejected all the things she used to be into, and taken on the exact same personality traits as her best friend. It's like she's taken on her personality. Not only has she gone off the rails like her, despite being from totally different backgrounds..(this girl has social services involved with family etc, nothing wrong with that but just giving background) ..but she also listens to only music this girl likes, does sports she likes, thinks this girl's mum and cousins are the best people ever, while treating me, her dad and brother like we are the scum of the earth! This has been going on for a year or so since she started her periods, we all feel so rejected like everything we have given her in her life is shit and she wishes she lived with this girl and her family! It's really hurtful. As I said upthread they are very different to us so could this be some sort of hormonal teenage rebellion thing? Just feeling really down about it and wondered what others thought.

OP’s posts: |
PoorlyWeasels Sun 05-Apr-20 12:01:37

Sorry you are going through this, but sadly it is normal IME.

All you can do is continue to be there for her, don't criticise her friend's family to her, and eventually she will grow out of it and come back to you.

gingganggooleywotsit Sun 05-Apr-20 20:00:21

Thank you I hope you're right and that she will come back. It's true that criticism makes things a thousand times worse. Will have to be patient and stop worrying so much.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in