Talk

Advanced search

First Car

(6 Posts)
Mumtooneboy Sun 19-Jan-20 20:13:58

Son is 16 and planning his first car. He has his heart set on a Triumph Spitfire, to do it up for when he hopefully passes his test in the Autumn.
Of course, I would rather he had a modern car with airbags, ABS, MoT requirement etc etc. The flip side is, though, that a Spitfire will not be capable of the speed of a more up to date car, and with only one passenger seat, maybe less potentially drunk unruly passengers.
What would you do? I realise I cannot do him up in bubble wrap but dread to think what happens to a Spitfire when it's rolled.

OP’s posts: |
Pompei36 Sun 19-Jan-20 22:02:43

Will he be able to get it insured? if I was you I would do a quotation first before he invests money and time . What is he going to do with only one seat if he gets a girlfriend ? 😂

JeffreysWorkTrousers Sun 19-Jan-20 22:31:25

I think the insurance would be eye watering on that.

Personally, and my Ds1 is almost 17, it would have to be a 5 star Encap car, with airbags. Minimum. He is looking to learn with an instructor and then drive mine for practise but my car is worth less than £4.5k and is a very economical no power whatsoever car and the insurance for him on mine increased it by £300 per year. That is as an additional driver not as the main driver.

All the modern day technology that goes into making a car safe is a must for me.

Have a look online at the car he wants, put an insurance quote through for it.

JohnVirgo Sun 19-Jan-20 22:34:13

I would get him to find out the insurance cost for him as a new driver. Often people make the mistake of getting quotes for the provisional license but the cost shoots it once the go to take out the insurance on a full license.

Can he afford to insure this?

JohnVirgo Sun 19-Jan-20 22:34:40

Shoots up

Chelsea567 Tue 21-Jan-20 21:46:34

I had a triumph spitfire as a first car when I was 18, but I'm 53 now!! It was very fast and very cool but I guess it would cost £1000's to insure for a youngster now. At the same time someone I knew at school had an MG open top rolled it and was killed aged 17. Certainly not the safest or easiest option ... I didn't think you could even get one anymore. Mine went to the big car park in the sky decades ago.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in