Talk

Advanced search

DD needs help with lingo!

(8 Posts)
lifebeginstoday Tue 21-Aug-07 15:32:05

Hi, after a year of being home educated, my children have decided they want to try school again. DD is coming up to 13, and has a friend over for the day, and she is panicking now as her friend is mentioning all these things and she hasn't a clue what she's on about! So if anyone has a teenager who is clued up on what's what and the slang being used at school now, can you help us out? My DD would be eternally grateful
Thanks

Hassled Tue 21-Aug-07 15:39:51

I have an 18 year old DD and a 20 yr old DS1 - neither of whom are actually here, but I might be able to help (I sound like I'm trying to be hideously cool, I know .
So - any specific vocabulary that needs translation?

lifebeginstoday Tue 21-Aug-07 15:47:22

Hassled...thanks. LOL@ the being cool thing! I'll ask her when she comes downstairs, but I think in general a list of the 'in' words and phrases. I mean, it's all about 'chavs' now isn't it? So all the relevant stuff that goes with that. And is it still 'minger' and 'munter' or has that all changed now too?

Hassled Tue 21-Aug-07 15:51:14

I googled "teenage lingo" and worryingly it seems to have regional variations but this looks useful. Seems the most current - DD uses "minger" but we do live in a small provincial city so may be outdated elsewhere.

Hassled Tue 21-Aug-07 15:52:58

I could spend hours on urbandictionary - chav may help.

Wisteria Tue 21-Aug-07 15:54:42

it changes on a weekly basis I think - but I can probably help too.

meandmy Tue 21-Aug-07 15:57:13

my 16yo sis uses sick meaning nice, there are lots of things i here her say where i have to ask what she means it will be hard but they will pick it up

Wisteria Tue 21-Aug-07 16:00:38

the chav thing is very funny, the other one I don't recognise any of the words. Tell her not to worry, I see my dd asking her friends what things mean on msn so it's new to all of them all of the time.

Basically if you say the opposite of what you really want to say then you'll probably be ok.

New one for friends is 'bled' as in blood brother I think - but they only use it in jest - and I heard 'no beef' the other day which apparently means 'I'm only joking, don't get arsey kind of thing'. We take the piss relentlessly round the dinner table of her 'new words'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now