Talk

Advanced search

What's the best way to get car insurance for a teenager ?

(10 Posts)
666onmyhead Thu 29-Aug-19 18:46:31

Is it better for them to own the car and get their own insurance ? Or better for parents to buy and insure and add teen as a named driver ?
And ideas which cars are better to go for ?? Insurance companies aren't helping when I've ask them !
Would appreciate any help /examples car types thank you thanks

OP’s posts: |
Todaythiscouldbe Thu 29-Aug-19 18:50:39

If the teenager will be the main driver please don't add them as a named driver, that invalidates insurance.
A less desirable car is cheaper to insure than typical teen cars like fiestas, golfs etc.
Low mileage isn't always cheaper.
Add parent(s) as a named driver

666onmyhead Thu 29-Aug-19 21:51:20

Fab thank you !

Caaarrrl Thu 29-Aug-19 21:56:38

If the teenager will be the main driver please don't add them as a named driver, that invalidates insurance.

The parent can be the policy holder and the child the main driver . As long as the child is identified as the main driver then there is no problem with the parent being the policy holder. I have done it this way for 2 years and it is perfectly legal an acceptable. Insurance know full well that it is my car and my insurance policy but DD1 is the main driver. It is much cheaper than her having her own policy.

Check out More Than Smart Wheels. It has a black box and an app which scores their driving and gives them money back if they drive well.

Todaythiscouldbe Thu 29-Aug-19 22:22:09

Caaarrrl that's not what the OP asked. It's worth noting that the young driver may not earn a no claims discount, although some insurers will transfer it

666onmyhead Fri 30-Aug-19 08:18:33

Thank you both.

chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:20:24

Adding teen as named driver when they will be the main driver is insurance fraud - please don't do it! Get a black box policy, cheapest way to insure a young/inexperienced driver.

LynetteScavo Fri 30-Aug-19 09:39:48

I suspect so many teens drive fiat 500s for a reason.

666onmyhead Fri 30-Aug-19 17:53:15

Ha, I am now the proud owner of a fiat 500 !!! Lol !! Added to my insurance with teen as main driver.
Thank you all for your input.

LynetteScavo Fri 30-Aug-19 19:50:04

grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in