Talk

Advanced search

Stay up to watch tv????

(10 Posts)
autopilotmomma Fri 12-Jul-19 22:05:45

DD has just turned 15. AIBU to make her go to bed because I'm going early (10pm)? DP is working and other DCs in bed. I like to know everyone is tucked up and safe before I go to bed, just what I grew up with. Should I give her the freedom to sit downstairs alone watching tv??? Or am I right doing it this way??? I JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO PARENT ANYMORE!!!!! 🤯

hadthesnip2 Fri 12-Jul-19 22:14:59

You should be glad she's watching TV. Mine hardly ever watch TV anymore, they just want to play on their xboxes.

Do you have to go to bed now.......it is a bit early. I'd wait up with her until 11ish & then you both can go to bed.

autopilotmomma Fri 12-Jul-19 22:21:35

Ha! We were out late at a friends last night (kids and all) and we are exhausted AND I've a 7month old sucking the life out of me! I am only just hanging on here to make sure she's settled (plus she's in deep shit after causing bother in her last week of school so has no iPad/phone/Xbox)

Noteventhebestdrummer Fri 12-Jul-19 22:25:08

What time will your DP be in?

If you tell DD she has to head up by say, 11pm, will she do that?

SinglePringle Fri 12-Jul-19 22:25:41

She’s at home

She’s downstairs from you, watching TV

Nothing bad is going to happen. Indeed, this is a very very safe example of independence.

You did good; she wants privacy but within the family.

Go. To. Bed. And. Leave. Her. Be.

happyhillock Fri 12-Jul-19 22:25:55

I didn't mind them watching tv in there bedroom's when i was in bed as long as it was loud, wouldn't leave them downstairs

autopilotmomma Fri 12-Jul-19 22:32:36

DP won't be in until after 1 and no way will she take herself to bed at 11 if I tell her! She would sit until 4am if I let her then crawl out of her pit at 2 tomorrow afternoon!

(Plus she might find my stash of munchies)

SinglePringle Fri 12-Jul-19 23:26:12

What would happen if she ‘crawled out of her pit at 2pm’?

How would you feel about that?

MalagaMinx Sun 14-Jul-19 23:03:07

In a way, there is no "right" answer on this.

It depends what you think.

Some parents are incredibly liberal e.g. let their kids stay up late doing whatever they want.

Others like more boundaries and discipline.

And we can be "liberal" on some things, and want more discipline in others.

Personally, I would not like my child or teen up watching TV when everyone else was in bed, it seems weird to me. There's a lot of inappropriate stuff on late, and I think it just creates bad habits. 10 p.m. is quite late IMO for a 14 or 15 year old to be up on their own watching TV until whenever ...

I think one reason some of us "don't know how to parent anymore" is that things have changed so much. When I was a teenager, there were no smart phones, there were only 4 channels, and most of the TV was over by midnight. So, in a way, we have to make our own new rules as we go along. Its good to canvass other people's views, but in the end you have to do what you think is right. Don't forget, teens and young people post on here, not even parents, so they may be coming from a very different place!

twosoups1972 Mon 15-Jul-19 15:53:52

@MalagaMinx hardly anyone watches terrestrial tv though. Mine only watch series on Netflix so it doesn’t make a difference what time they watch!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »