Confused about HPV schedule

(8 Posts)
WhatsitallaboutAlfie1 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:05:58

Any advice? My dd had her first HPV vaccine a month ago at age 14. She is in year 9. It was a year later than her class, as she was off sick with flu last year. The school is suggesting she have her second dose this month - and says she will need 3 in total as she began having them late. I think this is wrong for 2 reasons - first, if you start the vaccines under the age of 15, you only need 2 doses. And secondly because, as I understand it, the doses should be 6-12 months apart - at least that's what the US health protection agency says on its website - otherwise you need 3 doses! Anyone know the answer or been this situation?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Wed 19-Jun-19 17:03:37

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/hpv-human-papillomavirus-vaccine/ according to this she should only need 2 doses as she started the doses under the age of 15. And it's 6-12 months between doses

dementedpixie Wed 19-Jun-19 17:09:45

Although the patient information leaflet says something different even though it is linked to from the nhs site:

If you are from 14 years of age

Gardasil should be administered according to a 3-dose schedule:

First injection: at chosen date
Second injection: 2 months after first injection
Third injection: 6 months after first injection

The second dose should be administered at least one month after the first dose and the third dose should be administered at least 3 months after the second dose. All three doses should be given within a 1-year period. Please speak to your doctor for more information.

WhatsitallaboutAlfie1 Wed 19-Jun-19 17:26:49

Thanks - it is confusing. The CDC (health protection agency in the States) says 2 doses if the child is under 15 when given first dose, with 6-12 months between doses.

www.cdc.gov/hpv/downloads/HCVG15-PTT-HPV-2Dose.pdf

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 19-Jun-19 18:55:00

The licence in the US maybe different to the UK licence as they are not the same licensing body.
They will be following the UK licence.

dementedpixie Wed 19-Jun-19 19:03:31

But NHS website says different to the leaflet and actually matches the schedule on the CDC site.

dementedpixie Wed 19-Jun-19 19:05:50

From NHS: Girls who start the HPV vaccination after the age of 15 will need3 doses as they do not respond as well to2 doses as younger girls do

Advertisement

WhatsitallaboutAlfie1 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:47:44

I have double checked with school who checked with the vaccs team. DD is going to get her second vacc next year and only have the 2

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in