Talk

Advanced search

Special Treatment at school

(2 Posts)
lifesteeth Sun 15-Jul-07 10:20:05

I have posted before about my younger sister (13), she is overweight (obese infact at 13 stone) and a few people have unnoffically suspected that she might have a touch of autism but its never been acted on or picked up by the school, she also walks by throwing her feet in which often looks like she has some kind of illness but upon xrays etc there was found to be nothing wrong with it...

Anyway she started secondry school last year and they treat her as if there is something major wrong with her, they gave her a pass so that she can leave lessons 10 minutes before everyone else (mum was told this was so that the others didn't push her!), she gets to go into the dinner hall 10 minutes before everyone else (again to avoid being pushed ) and the dinner ladies even get her dinner ready for her and give her free sausage rolls etc...the other kids have started to question this now. My sister finds it difficult enough making friends and being sociable and we feel that this special treatment is alienating her further plus she's not having to deal with normal situations, surley any child could dislike being pushed but are they going to give them all passes?

Also they phone my mum and send her home for the slightest thing, "she has a headache", "she feels a bit sick" and on friday they phoned my mum and told her "she's bumped her knee, is it ok to send her home?".

Bumped her knee??? she's 13! my 6 year old doesnt get sent home for bumping his knee!

Has anyone else experienced this and are we right to think that this treatment is just hindering her already troubled progression?

Elasticwoman Sun 15-Jul-07 17:00:05

My dd (age 12) is not obese, nor does she have any other characteristic that should set her apart from the other kids emotionally, but I find the school contacts me for silly little things too. Last Friday a teacher was v affronted that I should have been uncontactable all afternoon because when she finally got through to me she had the important news that dd had fallen over in the mud and was "distressed" because of it. Hearing the word "distressed" and worried that perhaps bullying was involved, I hotfooted it to school, but really dd could have got changed into her games kit and not missed lessons for this trivial reason. It was just an accident, not bullying and anyway, what were they doing letting the kids out on to the grass when it was so muddy?

Spoke to another parent who has twins there, dd's age, and she has been called into school to take one or other ds home 3 times this year.

Mollycoddling is reaching epidemic proportions in secondary schools. It is a brave parent who says "No, I'm not coming to get her. You deal with it."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now