Advanced search

Professional help with difficult teens?

(10 Posts)
venusinfurs Tue 03-Jul-07 11:11:00

A good friend has a 13 year old daughter who is a real nightmare. She has anxiety problems, which are being dealt with in various ways, but is also a very very demanding and difficult girl. She is beginning to alienate her friends now too because she is conversationally arrogant and obnoxious by all accounts. The friend and her husband are mentally worn out and the whole family are miserable. Family counselling was useless and the daughter sees a counsellor herself, but it doesn?t seem to help a great deal. They really have tried the social services thing from every angle and now need to look elsewhere. She won't apply herself to any school work either. My friend has tried to contact MIND to find out whether anyone there can talk to her, but didn?t come to anything. She has got to the point when she just wants to talk to someone and wants practical help?someone who can say, 'here are some strategies'. She is a very intelligent woman who has already researched ways of dealing with it, praising etc etc, but nothing works. Does anyone have any thoughts? She also doesn't have a great deal of money to spare. Would be so grateful for any tips I can pass on.
Thanks in advance.

Tanee58 Tue 03-Jul-07 11:48:55

So sorry - it must be really hard for your friend - and her daughter sounds very unhappy. Haven't any advice as such, but if she's anywhere near North London, there's a free children's counselling service called Open Door that I found really helpful. They talk to teenagers and parents either together or alone. If she lives outside London, she could try contacting them anyway to see if there are similar services in her area.

Open Door Young People’s Consultation Service
12 Middle Lane
London N8 8PL

Tel: 020 8348 5947
Fax: 020 8341 1684


venusinfurs Tue 03-Jul-07 11:53:34

Tannee..thank you so much for that. Yes, she does live in North London as it happens. I will pass this on straight away and am very grateful for your help.
Any other suggestions from people very welcome.

venusinfurs Tue 03-Jul-07 13:34:50

Anyone else have any thoughts?
thank you.

scorpio1 Tue 03-Jul-07 14:08:52

where we live, the local council runs a scheme. worth asking?

venusinfurs Tue 03-Jul-07 14:18:13

Thanks Scorpio...what kind of scheme do you mean?

scorpio1 Tue 03-Jul-07 14:27:11

this is what we have down here,

maybe they have something similar near you?

venusinfurs Tue 03-Jul-07 14:43:12

Thanks Scorpio - that looks like a similar thing to the Open Door one.

katinat Fri 06-Jul-07 03:06:43

Perhaps a child psychiatrist--to manage her anxiety and rule out any other disorders such as ADHD or depression. My dd has ADHD/general anxiety and struggles socially--which is frustrating for her. She acts out because she simply does not know how to interact with other children appropriately. Sometimes, the older the child gets, the more difficult it becomes in school due to increase demand for more complex thought and organizational skills. It may be more than just a difficult teen. Good luck to your friend and her dear child.

venusinfurs Sun 08-Jul-07 20:03:27

So sorry, missed your kind message. Thanks for those suggestions. Don't think it's ADHD in this case, but will defo pass on. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: