Talk

Advanced search

Ps4 and Social Media affecting my son

(4 Posts)
Applecrumble79 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:31:36

My 15 year old son spends a lot of time on his Playstation and mobile phone. It’s got to a point where he is constantly on one or the other. He’s In year 10 and just not interested in studying at all. His grades have dropped and I’m worried about him passing his exams next year. I have just started up maths and English tutition for him and he doesn’t want to go. He doesn’t see the benefit of going even though I explain constantly about it being in his best interests as he will face competition for apprenticeships etc. He is just not interested but says he wants to do well.

I’m fed up of nagging him to manage himself, get ready for school, go to bed. Even have to nag him to feed himself. I’ve cut his monthly allowance down from £50 a month to £30 a month as a contribution towards his tuition. He is not best pleased.

He is driving me crazy. Any suggestions as to help him have a more positive attitude towards his studies and himself??

sleepismysuperpower1 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:37:25

have you got any time limits in place, for the Ps4 in particular? we have a system where at the start of every week, my dc are given a total of 5 hours of ps4 time, to use how they please (the time must last them a week). however, once they have run out of time (we write it on a blackboard how much time they have left) then that is it, they do not get any more time and cannot go on the ps4 until they receive more time the next week.

as for the phone, you could try taking it away when he comes through the door, to charge it, and give it back to him once he has completed his studying/ homework.

all the best x

Applecrumble79 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:24:34

Thanks for the suggestion. There aren’t any time limits as such. I just expect him to do his chores/homework etc. Things need to change though as he is failing so will need much more structure in terms of ps4 allowed time.

Applecrumble79 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:25:27

Feels so draining. As I’m a single parent, working a very intense full time job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: