Talk

Advanced search

Tips for a teen house party

(16 Posts)
coolmum223 Sun 09-Dec-18 19:37:31

DD15 wants a house party. I've told her I'm gonna consider it aka haven't said yes or no so perfect time to ask MN for tips.

I'm pretty sure I want to do it as she said even a Marquee in the back garden with access to the garage and a porta potty or 2 will be fine but still unsure. Her plan was (not completed yet)
Disco lights rigged up in our large garage with a dj (a friend of hers who can do it cheap).
The marquee being the bar type area with food, drinks and a chocolate fountain which she's gonna sort herself out with apparently

As for alcohol she said her and the people she has interested (around 30-40 people) aren't really interested but she mentioned mocktails though which I'm fine with.

Also I can have my BIL be a bouncer since he's quite a large guy and he said he'd do it for me the other day if I wanted to do it.

So I'm about 50/50 on it but I need some outside opinion before I say yes or no to her. Bear in mind if I did have my BIL be a bouncer I'd say it would be unlikely to have gatecrashers/alcohol snuck in since he used to be a bouncer and so knows all the tricks

malmontar Sun 09-Dec-18 21:21:13

That sounds like an epic and expensive affair!

jocktamsonsbairn Sun 09-Dec-18 21:23:37

My dd (15) just had her friends round and I said to parents if they were ok with their dc having alcohol then they could provide it as I wasn't. Bought soft drinks and snacks. Kids all
Out in for a big dominos order. I was across the toad drinking wine with my friend and my DS was upstairs. Everyone was happy!

Chewbecca Sun 09-Dec-18 21:26:01

Marquees are really ££

coolmum223 Sun 09-Dec-18 21:49:16

@malmontar well we already have the marquee, disco lights, chocolate fountain and other stuff. The only thing to pay for is the food and drinks since she's got the dj for free I think (the dj is currently working for exposure) so it's not crazy

coolmum223 Sun 09-Dec-18 21:50:04

@Chewbecca I have one already so it's free. Should have mentioned that in the post

malmontar Sun 09-Dec-18 23:00:33

It sounds amazing! I’m jealous!

Shadow1986 Sun 09-Dec-18 23:14:06

I would be VERY nervous. With social media - word of a party spreads very quickly. I know you’ve said you’ll have a bouncer but is one enough if say another 100 teenage boys turn up. So I guess tips would be - not allow party to be put on social media. Have a guest list to control numbers and make sure the bouncer is ticking them off. Agree with daughter that you want a parent contact number for kids attending so if anyone is a pain in the arse you can get rid of them by calling parents. Quick search of bags on way in if you don’t want alcohol as guarantee there will be people bringing it in. Put an end time so they can arrange lifts home etc, otherwise it could go on far later than you want. Find out prior how people are getting home otherwise they may just spill out onto the street and be a nuisance. At end time, turn music off, lights on etc. Pre warn neighbours and tell them time music will be turned off. Put a barrier across stairs so no one can go upstairs.
What time of year is party? What if it’s freezing/raining? You don’t want everyone coming inside so you’ll need to make sure it’s sheltered/warm enough.
And just some things to make it more fun, mocktails sound good and what about setting up like a photobooth style area - you can buy the frames online cheap and just need the props.

Good luck OP.

coolmum223 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:00:03

@Shadow1986 yes there will be a guest list and they're all asked to bring some sort of photo Id like their school ID card which has a photo and would suffice. Also I've told her the only social media I'm ok with this party being talked about on is a private group chat with only her close friends (because your besties are unlikely to screw you over on purpose If they actually care about you)

mumstaxi2 Tue 11-Dec-18 22:35:07

I did quite a few teen parties at home over the last few years - 17/18 yrs so slightly older but I'd be very surprised if no one smuggled in alcohol in year 11 some kids could be past 16 already now. Top tip would be to stay visible - my son accepted that I would be in the kitchen doing pizzas at various times throughout the evening. Do not go out & leave them whatever they say. Also agree on a number of guests & try to stick to it as much as possible - kids have a tendency to ask to bring " plus ones" & numbers can easily creep up in this way. That said my son managed to control numbers very well & we never had any issues & that was with alcohol in the equation as they got older . Good luck!!

anniehm Tue 11-Dec-18 22:50:23

Sounds good but be prepared that people will bring in alcohol. For DD's 16th I made cocktails (very low alcohol) but other guests brought Prosecco, vodka etc - parents provided it! For a party this large having multiple adults around and being conspicuous should reduce likelihood of really deviant behaviour.

coolmum223 Wed 12-Dec-18 08:53:06

@anniehm it's in our Yard sorta so I can literally see from the l

coolmum223 Wed 12-Dec-18 08:53:55

@anniehm sorry couldn't finish writing that and don't know how to delete posts. Anyway it's in our Back garden so I can see from just looking out the window and can get to it in a second if I need to.

cdtaylornats Wed 12-Dec-18 11:32:13

Bouncers - just a couple

coolmum223 Wed 12-Dec-18 15:50:18

@cdtaylornats well like I said I have one lined up. Also me and DH will be able to monitor from the house

Onestep2 Thu 13-Dec-18 20:23:20

Omg I remember house parties when I was 15. About 20 of us crammed in a kitchen sharing a bottle of vodka then trying to all sober up before our curfews. Someone's big brother always had given them a pre rolled joint which 5 people were all trying to smoke out the back 😂😂 there was Always someone being sick, a girl crying and some random guy talking to a lamp while everyone danced to whatever was on MTV.

There was certainly no DJ or marquee. 😂😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »