Talk

Advanced search

"Home bound" teenagers

(3 Posts)
Maria135 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:31:46

Hello, new to Mumsnet, so not really sure how it all works, but would value any really useful and feasible advice regarding getting my 2 teenagers (well, one is 12 and one is 13) out and about and more active during the summer holidays.
This summer I happen to be at home (the first time since they were born) and am very, very frustrated that they just don't want to do anything! I had to force them to go away last week and I had to force them to come body boarding in Blackpool yesterday. What more could I be doing to get them out of their rooms, off their phone and computer, etc.? Or, should I just resign myself to the fact that I am merely a B&B for the summer with two guests that don't go out much?

OP’s posts: |
EvaHarknessRose Tue 07-Aug-18 18:37:17

Same boat here. DH is arranging stuff to do with them on the days he has off, and they are enjoying that. One goes out to the gym, and has sports clubs on in the evenings the other I have a half jokey agreement with that she needs to leave the house at least every other day (we do the garden, find an errand to run or go for coffee). She has arranged a few social things. That makes it sound like they are doing loads unprompted, but they are really not.

Maria135 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:07:08

Thanks for that idea, yes, maybe I'll try the agreement to do something every other day outside the house. I did try getting them to plan and cook the dinner each day, but then we went away for a short time so must reinstate that one even though it's still indoors! We'll go to the seaside again to swim and use the body boards, but it still involves me driving them, etc.! I must be very old as I don't remember doing much with my parents at all in the summer holidays. We were always out doing something we'd organised ourselves. How times have changed!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in