Talk

Advanced search

Teenager can't attend school due to medical needs - alternatives?

(5 Posts)
Octavia64 Thu 28-Jun-18 08:27:27

Hi

So my DD is currently in year 12, and has been recently diagnosed with arthritis.

She is really struggling to attend her school, and although they are being supportive - room for her to rest in, emailing out PowerPoints etc, she can't realistically manage it.

Does anyone have experience of alternatives to brick and mortar schools? She is keen to continue her education.

She's currently doing physics, double maths and computer science a-levels.

Any advice/ experience welcomed.

OP’s posts: |
BrownTurkey Thu 28-Jun-18 08:33:37

Can school access a hospital education reintegration service for you?

Otherwise there are lots of online fee paying schools now, or home study A level courses, all ££ though.

sashh Thu 28-Jun-18 08:46:39

Look for a medical PRU.

They are not the same as the 'naughty kids' PRUs. They can teach independently or with a school.

I applied for a job with one (didn't get it) based in a psychiatric hospital, there the teachers (Qualified) would liaise with the student's regular school to get work to the child and help with it.

I also had a look at my local one while doing my PGCE, it's basically two classrooms and everything is taught in there but with bean bags to rest and, I believe, some medical facilities.

Your other option would be to employ a tutor but that might be too much upheaval.

Get in touch with your local authority, the medical PRU by me becomes involved when a child has missed or will miss 2 weeks education so for things like post op recovery as well as long term attendance.

Link to my local medical PRU

nightingale.lawnswood.org.uk/welcome/

Oh and depending on the school how would the school feel about skype/virtual lessons?

Blessthekids Fri 29-Jun-18 20:43:20

Firstly, sorry to hear about your DD's diagnosis.

Yep there are online high schools like Interhigh. They are not free but I don't think they are extortionate and you might be able to get help from your local council towards the cost. Good luck to your DD

Snowfire Sun 01-Jul-18 15:58:46

My daughter went to Interhigh for her GCSEs and did well. She has auditory processing disorder so found it easier to concentrate and was happier than in a big class. She's doing A Levels at our local college now and thriving smile definitely worth a look.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in