Talk

Advanced search

13DS phone/screens/bedtime

(3 Posts)
TeenageHell Mon 18-Jun-18 22:26:29

Hello all
My DS13 ha recently been diagnosed with ADHD, he is currently taking Concerta 36mg and also suffers with anxiety.
Even before diagnosis and medication, he has been a nightmare at bedtime. He refused to go to sleep, come off screens etc. I have managed to get him off Xbox at 9pm but he says he needs his phone to watch YouTube to ' calm down and relax' 🙄
He absolutely refuses to give me his phone. He used to give it to me at 10pm, but would still have trouble settling and would be in and out of my room til midnight, having panic attacks, getting worked up, demanding his phone back etc.
I have given in a bit and just let him keep his phone as the battles were killing my mental health and making me so stressed and down, last thing at night when I'm exhausted.
I've tried switching the WiFi off, taking his phone anyway, removing his data...all this does is enrage him and he is banging at my door, coming in my room, shouting at me, switching lights on and off etc until I have to give in. We live in a block of flats and the neighbours must hate me 😩
He is a nightmare to get up in the mornings, is late to school, every morning is a battle.
I'm at such a loss as to what to do...I'm so anxious myself and on the verge of panic every bloody night...i don't know what to do and am desperately seeking some practical advice.
I am a single mum so it's just me and him and no one close by for support.
Thank you in advance xx

OP’s posts: |
Squeegle Mon 18-Jun-18 22:51:03

I’m sorry you’re suffering. My DS is very similar. I am also a single mum and very stressed. My DS does however usually hand over phone. This is because the doctor at CAMhs advised him about winding down before bed. So it has worked a bit. Is it possible that a doctor may be able to give him some advice?
My DS like yours is a nightmare in the morning- won’t get up and is very abusive. I try to stay calm but it’s not easy. flowers

Canadawet Tue 19-Jun-18 09:27:43

Interesting. that sounds difficult OP, but if you give in then it will continue. DD is 13 yo, has been diagnosed with ASD, it is subtle but her need to watch endless episodes of the same idiot you-tubers is concerning. Yesterday I had to shout to get her to give me the bloody iPad at bedtime, her phone is in my office since she bunked school because was up all night on it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in