Talk

Advanced search

Would you leave a 17 y-o overnight to supervise a 10 y-o?

(10 Posts)
Golgo13 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:58:11

Thinking of spending a weekend away to celebrate 20th anniversary.
DS1 [17 y-o] has agreed to look after DS2 [10 y-o] and the house.
They are both sensible and get on well with each other, and leaving the 10 y-o with him probably reduces the chances of "shenanigans" that could result from leaving the teen on his own...
They are both fine with the idea...

But would we be "bad people" to leave them home alone?

OP’s posts: |
MuddyForestWalks Sun 10-Jun-18 17:59:48

16 year olds have tiny babies and look after them perfectly well. 18 year olds go abroad and au pair for families with several children. I see no problem with what you're proposing.

Catchuptv Sun 10-Jun-18 18:01:04

I don't think I'd do it. Not that I wouldn't trust the 17 year old to look after the 10 year old - but I've left my kids before and come back to find out they've had a party and my house is in a mess.

Legally you'd be Ok - it depends how much you can trust the 17 year old.

I reckon if you're going out just for an evening and coming home it's fine for the babysitting but all weekend??

LadyWithLapdog Sun 10-Jun-18 18:03:27

I think it's sensible if they are sensible.

Golgo13 Sun 10-Jun-18 18:06:54

Thanks for the sanity check - that's pretty much what we were saying - that 16-year-olds have kids of their own...
We think it will be fine knowing our own children, but just wanted to check if there was any social outrage at nicking off for the weekend and leaving the kids...

Golgo13 Sun 10-Jun-18 18:10:12

Catchuptv - Yes, parties (and other shenanigans) are the main concern. Having him responsible for the 10 year-old is likely to scupper that kind of thing - DS1 is a responsible chap when you give him responsibility... My friends dad always used to let him drive the car to parties as a way to stop him drinking... works with some kids, goes horribly wrong with others...

Catchuptv Sun 10-Jun-18 19:40:24

Golg13 - I was probably unlucky. Enjoy your weekend.

cyclotherapy Sun 10-Jun-18 23:44:37

Can't believe you are asking this....l was au pairing at 17....left alone with 2 DC 5 and 7 overnight no problem.....of course depends on the kids but yours sound sensible

BackforGood Sun 10-Jun-18 23:47:11

I was thinking along the same lines as you - probably etter to leave a 17 yr old with the responsibility of the 10 yr old, than leave him to party on his own.

I would, but it would depend on the 17 yr old, and on their relationship. The fact you think it will work suggests that you know it will.

mostdays Sun 10-Jun-18 23:52:23

A sensible 17 year old who was happy to be in that position, yes, happily.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in