Talk

Advanced search

Duke of Edinburgh Award - Silver - Daughter taking part

(15 Posts)
Monica53 Sat 17-Mar-18 08:39:45

Hi There

My DD is scheduled to do her first practice expedition next weekend, we are borrowing a lot of stuff from family ie waterproofs/base layers, though buying walking boots, however I have had to contact the college a few times in relation to information, and now my DDhas told me they have to take their own food?

Anyone else child taken part in DofE and offer advice in relation to exactly what to take. I have attempted to look on line for a forum for parents of kids doing DofE and cannot find anything. Thank you in advantage of replies. Best wishesx

OP’s posts: |
woodlands01 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:05:00

They need to decide in their groups what to cook. My DD took pasta/packets ready made sauce/grated cheese, they split it between the group. My DS took the expedition meals from cotswolds - they are recommended on DofE site and you just add water. Plastic tubs of porridge for breakfast and then just easy snacks - flapjacks/cereal bars/belvita biscuits. Hot chocolate sachets popular. Not fruit - just gets squished in rucksacks.

LIZS Sat 17-Mar-18 09:09:03

That is usual. The group should determine between themselves a menu and who brings what. Often simple things like pasta or rice based. But not "instant" like pot noodle! Breakfast is usually individual unless they plan something like porridge. All food has to be longlife or packet, not chilled. Many of the participants will have done Bronze so know what is allowed.

Orangettes Sat 17-Mar-18 09:11:36

We have been told that this is a student led activity and that we need to butt out and so I have left it up to the dcs - there is a requirement by D of E for something hot in the morning and evening. I have heard they are doing hot choc in the morning and pasta in the evening.

Monica53 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:31:53

Thank you for replying-reckon buying tubs of porridge oats for breakfast. Not sure groups are actually discussing bickering about who is taken nuts and who isn't 🤔😲🙈. Off to buy boots - that will be interesting. I pray Dd doing this she'll grow up and be more mature in her ways.! You can hope!?. Thank you for replying and advice xx

murasaki Sun 18-Mar-18 11:45:21

I remember taking pot noodles and shedloads of kendall mint cake - good for the sugar levels. Never eaten it since, though, it reminds me of blisters and being chased by a herd of cows.

Monica53 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:17:48

Hi
Thank you for replies - its great to have mumsnet.

I think we've got most things:
Boots
Thermal baselayers
fleece
socks
Water/windproof jacket
Hat/scarve/gloves
using: jogging bottoms/fleece top for pj's

Need: walking trousers/waterproof trousers
Borrowing rucksack/liner

And DD is setting up a group chat with her group - to discuss what food they are taking and what clothes everyone has got to double check everything.

Currently weather in NE is snowing-Again!! so hoping by the time they go off camping the snow disappears - as it will be nearly April!.

Thank you for advice and anymore experiences would be appreciated as I don't know any mums whose kids are doing expedition and don't have many actual mum friends. Thank youx

Keehar256 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:54:42

If you've only just bought boots, make sure she wears them every day this week and walks a few miles in them. If she wears new boots for the first time on an expedition she'll get blisters!! I'm sure you know this, but it's the sort of thing a teen will not think of and then will suffer. Not a nice lesson to learn...
My DD has done some long hikes with scouts and has learnt to layer up and to take waterproofs, but hasn't learnt yet that she doesn't need to take masses of makeup and far more clothes then she needs. She ends up with a rucsack heavier than she is!!
I've also done a long distance hike where we took so much food we had jettison some of it half way so we could go on carrying our bags we were so knackered! I
I'd take the dried expedition stuff and energy bars/kendall mint cake for a quick pick-me-up, but I wouldn't bother with a load of heavy stuff like apples and flasks.

Orangettes Sun 18-Mar-18 17:15:47

Chocolate raisons are great for snacking

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 18-Mar-18 17:20:37

DS did his during last BeastfromtheEast in the snow . Everything came back wet and very muddy but they had a great time.

They made a shopping list and 2 went and bought it and the others chipped. The boy and girl who shopped had also done meal plans.

Monica53 Sun 18-Mar-18 20:16:25

Hi there
Yep told Dd she needs to wear in boots! Also to sort out bickering between group as when on hills in middle of nowhere they can't behave like they are Omg! Leaving it up to her as this is about her and to gain confidence etc....and mature. How did your kids find it all?xx

Rolypoly Sun 18-Mar-18 20:32:45

Compeed blister plasters are a must! (Own brand ones just not as good). As regards food they must plan and prepare a subsantial hot meal as a group. Something like veg chilli and rice or cous cous with veg sausage and a tomato sauce wiil pass. 'Quick cook' versions of things like pasta, lightweight packaging eg pouches, vacuum packs.Food must be safe to eat after being in a rucksack all day so that rules out fresh meat. They will have to distribute the ingredients between the group for carrying. Lots of info on the official D o E website. They should have had a briefing on all the requirements of the expedition.

lljkk Sun 18-Mar-18 21:21:46

omg, DD's foot after practise Bronze expedition. Blister was like this except on sole of her foot. And that was a sunny weekend (no wet risk). Grim. She had compeed plasters but decided not to bother with them. (sigh).

samlovesdilys Wed 04-Apr-18 18:55:26

Painkillers, wet wipes, second pair of shoes (daps?) to wear in camp in evening. Sun cream. Water bottle. All my girls plaited their hair back at the beginning and left them in All expedition!! Juice cartons, snacks and haribo are good. Power pack for phone charger. Socks and more socks. Hope that helps...

Orangettes Wed 04-Apr-18 22:24:00

Micropore tape on skin as soon as discomfort is felt is the best way to avoid blisters - according to long distance runners.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in