Talk

Advanced search

Are double cinema seats trashy?

(26 Posts)
Idontmeanto Fri 09-Mar-18 06:22:35

Dd and boyfriend have apparently booked one. They are 16. I have no problem with them having a physical relationship in private, but this is making my skin crawl. Am I being a prude or is this just an opportunity for a grope in a dark but public space? Do I need to have a word about classy behaviour in public or am I being bonkers?

feral Fri 09-Mar-18 06:30:59

It's just a bigger seat.
They can still grope on two normal sized seats!

Mrsfloss Fri 09-Mar-18 06:31:28

My teens love double cinema seats as it’s cool and something different. If they are having a physical relationship I doubt they would be having a fumble at the cinema.

Saying that I did as a teenager but much younger!

NotAgainYoda Fri 09-Mar-18 06:33:05

By all means talk to your DD about not having sex in public (no doubt that will go down a storm grin, but double cinema seats are nice

boingbat Fri 09-Mar-18 06:45:39

Not trashy at all and very common in some cinema chains such as Everyman.

acornsandnuts Fri 09-Mar-18 06:48:45

We booked one by mistake. I just became more and more annoyed that DH was using me to lean on rather than the missing arm rest.

acornsandnuts Fri 09-Mar-18 06:49:50

I wouldn’t say anything at all about the seats to her.

SnowiestMountain Fri 09-Mar-18 06:50:17

It's fine!

orangesticker Fri 09-Mar-18 08:14:24

You are being bonkers!

Truthstar Fri 09-Mar-18 08:28:11

Youre seriously overthinking this. Talk yourself down & let it go xx

Trills Fri 09-Mar-18 08:29:15

If a teenager is likely to be groping in a cinema, they will do so no matter what shape the seats are.

ClashCityRocker Fri 09-Mar-18 08:29:56

If you really want a fumble in the cinema you can do it on standard seats.

I am sure there are many moments in life where people have to sit in seats without armrests and manage to resist.

mojito55 Fri 09-Mar-18 08:32:18

I dare say you might be overthinking this one wink

64BooLane Fri 09-Mar-18 08:33:56

You’re overthinking it.

Rainatnight Fri 09-Mar-18 08:35:15

Not trashy at all. As a PP said, it's a bit cool and different. Quite grown up.

Is there a bigger issue here?

demirose87 Fri 09-Mar-18 08:39:55

You are overthinking it. Many cinemas have CCTV anyway and film the audience.

WickedLazy Fri 09-Mar-18 08:48:30

I don't think they'll be groping each other, they'll know cinemas have see in the dark cameras (to catch illegal filming or streaming), but they will probably have an innocent cuddle. If they were gonna grope each other, they'd go sone where more private.

WickedLazy Fri 09-Mar-18 08:48:48

*somewhere

GettingStuffDoneInSlippers Fri 09-Mar-18 09:32:55

Haha, I will admit to using cinemas to snog and fondle with my boyfriend at around 14 years of age!

Those bastard arm rests made it very difficult because they didn't push up so you could get closer envy

Lots of things were out of reach!

Where oh where were you when I was 14, two seater cinema seats?

HoppingPavlova Fri 09-Mar-18 09:37:04

Our local cinema has armrests that can be put up between all seats. I know this because one of my kids has always put it up first thing and then leans all over me during the movie. Now a teen and nothing has changed grin.

ChocolateWombat Fri 09-Mar-18 09:37:27

I've notice that the small Independnet local chain of cinemas have introduced double seats, along with coffee tables and waitress service of meals, snacks and bar drinks into the cinema.
This isn't a big chain multiplex but cinema with small screen showing both mainstreM and more niche films - certainly couldn't be considered trashy, but pretty upmarket as an alternative to a multiplex, I would say.

It's not aimed at snogging teenagers, although they would like them.

It does throw up some booking problems, because there are single sets too and because of doubles you often get 1 random seat left free which is hard to fill - so less flexible for booking for the cinema.

DarthNigel Fri 09-Mar-18 10:09:39

Im pretty sure it will be fine op

DinahMo Fri 09-Mar-18 11:36:05

You’re a prude OP grin but fair enough being uncomfortable thinking about your teenage daughter’s fledgling sex life tho!

nineteentwelve Fri 09-Mar-18 12:17:16

I definitely did this as a teenager of about 14/15, and like someone said above, double seats would have been very handy!!

i don't think teenagers these days would fondle in public though, they have standards. and if they are, a double seat at least makes it less obvious!

Idontmeanto Fri 09-Mar-18 17:03:39

Fondling has gone out of fashion?! Hmmm. I have memories of being very inappropriate in cinemas, best not judge dd by my standards though🤭

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: