Talk

Advanced search

Online bullying/ rumour spreading - what can we do?

(6 Posts)
hollyberrytree Wed 07-Feb-18 17:31:48

I posted yesterday about DS aged 17 and in 6th form, being very withdrawn. I’m still not exactly sure what’s wrong as he isn’t really talking but my digging around has led me to believe he is the victim of some very nasty rumour spreading.
Possibly the main perpetrator, if I’m guessing correct is not in his school so school cannot do much.
DS is still ‘ leave me alone’ but I wondered if anyone had any strategies for me to suggest IF he talks to me and IF I’m right. Thanks,.

Northernparent68 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:55:14

Can you persuad him to come off social media, and tell him how unimportant it is.

hollyberrytree Wed 07-Feb-18 21:15:13

I wish I could. It’s a genie that won’t go back in the bottle. I might as well say stop breathing.

chocolateworshipper Wed 07-Feb-18 21:23:38

You could email his tutor and ask him/her to speak to DS. He might find it easier to speak to an adult who isn't his parent.

If you do find out it's bullying on social media - you can report to the social media provider and you can also report to the police.

hollyberrytree Thu 08-Feb-18 16:16:47

Form tutor thinks I’m on the right lines with the online gossip rubbish.
Unfortunately she has no idea what we can do.

I suppose if he doesn’t talk we just need to wait for it to blow over.
I’d happily get solicitors or internet providers involved but unless DS explains more I can do nothing

JDilla Thu 15-Feb-18 00:44:31

If your kid's smart eventually he'll realise none of this is going to matter when he leaves school and he's only harming himself worrying about these things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: