Talk

Advanced search

16 year olds holidaying on their own

(7 Posts)
Idontmeanto Sat 20-Jan-18 19:50:22

Dd and friends would like to go away as a group once the GCSEs finish this summer. While they are a fab bunch and I’m wholly supportive of the idea I’m not sure what options are available to them. Everywhere we’ve stayed as far back as I remember was, (perhaps understandably) not welcoming of large groups rather than couples, or require at least one member of a group to be over 18.
Any ideas? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
GetYourRocksOff Sat 20-Jan-18 19:52:00

We done something similar but it was a friends dad's caravan. It was a blast!

duckdarlington Sat 20-Jan-18 19:57:10

Lots of hotels and b&b's do accept 16-18's, at least from my experiance with teenage dd. For her 16th she spent the weekend in bournemouth with friends, email around someplaces might say no but there definately will be places that say yes.

ForeverBubblegum Sat 20-Jan-18 20:06:12

Try youth hostels, might not be as glamorous as they were hoping but in some great locations and within 16 year old budget.

Dogsarethebest Mon 22-Jan-18 12:51:26

My dd did the same at 16 (2016 after gcse). Dd and 2 female friends went to Portugal, first week they stayed in a holiday rental in countryside ( grandfather of one of the girls lives there and it was on his land - so relatively safe). They then had 3 nights in Albufiera (gulp) which I booked but took some doing, a lot of sites won't let you book just under 18's - think booking.com did. I rang the hotel prior to booking and checked they would accept them, and I emailed. My daughter wasn't ready for Albufiera, she came home early as she didn't feel comfortable - the other 2 had a blast ( party animals!).

UrsulaPandress Mon 22-Jan-18 12:54:07

In the UK I'm sure they would be OK but I would personally think that 16 was probably too young to go abroad.

specialsubject Mon 22-Jan-18 17:38:51

BTW if there are any in the group who think they can just lie about their age when booking - squash that one. They will be on the street when they arrive because most holiday accommodation owners weren't born yesterday.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in