Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Army Mum

(18 Posts)
UtahGirl12 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:32:14

Ok, so he's not technically a teenager (he's 21), but I couldn't think where else to post this. DS1 is in the Army and is now on his first deployment, which will be for about 6-8 months, overseas. He obviously won't be home for Xmas. We bought him a Kindle before he went, for Xmas, but I'm really stuck as to what I can send out to him to open on Xmas day. He says he's not bothered, but I am! I can't send alcohol, perfume or aerosols. He will be weight restricted when he comes back (1 big bag for all his civvy kit) so I can't send clothes etc. Obviously I will chocolates etc, but I'm stumped as to what else. Any suggestions??

Magicme1 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:37:33

What about a book?
You can't send aerosols but can send shower gels and nice wet wipes ect, could make a nice xmassy pack of things like that

dementedma Sat 11-Nov-17 21:40:04

Playing cards
Book
Funky socks

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 11-Nov-17 21:45:21

Some Amazon vouchers for him to spend on his kindle.

cdtaylornats Sat 11-Nov-17 22:09:31

www.veteransunited.com/network/what-deployed-troops-really-want-in-their-care-packages/

It's an American site but it can't be too much different

goodmum23 Sat 11-Nov-17 22:12:18

clickbait

UtahGirl12 Sun 12-Nov-17 17:51:35

Thanks for your suggestions. Will def get him funky socks and playing cards. Probably won't get him books because of the weight of them coming back, although an a voucher would be good. Really not sure what you mean by clickbait goodmum123 ??

lljkk Sun 12-Nov-17 18:04:11

Thanks, cdtay.

mpsw Sun 12-Nov-17 18:12:12

Haribo, favourite coffee, nice toiletries (yes they'll be available wherever he is, but not necessarily the sort he likes as a treat) haribo, puzzle magazines, poker chips, biscuits, Star Wars pants (or tie-in merchandise to new film out on 15th) and some haribo.

TheFairyCaravan Sun 12-Nov-17 18:12:21

My husband has been away for Christmas in the past. It's really difficult finding things to send out especially as they can't bring a great deal of it back.

Foodie gifts are always welcome. Depending on where he is sweets are often better than chocolate because they last longer. Maybe a few new pairs of pants? DS1 is serving too, and I know how hard they are on pants.

I sent DH a Christmas jumper and hat. He left that there for the next lot.

Puzzles are good. You can get wooden and metal ones that are quite small, break the bordem and can be left there.

I sent DH one of these wood models but it was of the aircraft type he was working on. There's loads to choose from if you Google and they don't need glue or tools to make.

mpsw Sun 12-Nov-17 18:13:14

Cheap paperbacks he can leave behind might be worth considering.

Plus magazines.

UtahGirl12 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:24:15

More great ideas, thanks. Definitely sweets, (Haribo maybe??) and chocolates as he's somewhere very cold so they won't melt! I like the idea of underwear, maybe some novelty Xmas boxers, and a Xmas hat too.

LadyMarmyLard Sun 12-Nov-17 18:43:26

New trainers
Protein bars
Football or some sort of game he can play with his mates but leave it there when he comes home/magnetic dartboard?
Loads of photos of family
Flag from wherever you’re from (Like England/Scotland/Wales flag to personalise his bedspace)

Fekko Sun 12-Nov-17 18:45:47

Those vouches for downloading music?

Tippytappytoes Mon 13-Nov-17 10:20:10

My friend is currently deployed and so far I have sent out Crocs, a big water bottle, boxes of beef jerky, a big tub of wasabi peas and isotonic powder! All have gone down well, especially the snacks.

Don't forget you can order on Amazon but get it sent straight out, rather than it coming to you. Lots of other online stores do this too.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Mon 13-Nov-17 11:06:56

Christmas jumper
Sweets
Christmas cards
Tea/coffee
Biscuits
Playing cards/games
Cheap puzzle games (he can bin them before he comes back)

lljkk Tue 14-Nov-17 19:19:33

Advent calendar...? Especially one that isn't just chocolate.
I'm thinking a Lego one (get to build stuff) would amuse DS quite a lot.

UtahGirl12 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:14:20

Excellent idea! He always loved lego!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now