Talk

Advanced search

Help desperately needed...

(4 Posts)
Mumandfamily18 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:24:25

New to this and without going in to too much information I'm desperate for a bit of help.
My 19 yr old child is currently in hospital with mental health issues,As she is able to co-operate I haven't really got a say in what is happening or going to happen. They even have the right to kick me out of the hospital because it's up to my child if she wants to see me. There is a lot more to this that I can't really say but I'm just looking for a bit of help if anybody has been in a position with there adult child having mental health issues. I do have a number of questions if anybody can help sorry if this is all rushed or anything :
1) once she is given a mental health assessment will I be able to have more say - because at the moment she is not with it she has had a number of episodes of psychosis and is constantly hulicinating. Surely they can see she is not any right frame of mind to make decisions for herself and that if not me but a member of the family could act as "carer" and be able to find out information?
I just need some help and information I don't actually know who I can talk to

niknac1 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:29:50

Has your daughter been sectioned or is she a voluntary patient?

Mumandfamily18 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:47:47

I think she's voluntary. She is in the general hospital on a normal ward but they was/are treating her for psychos and was doing a mental health assessment on her today but the nurse said that they might not even tell me how it goes or what is said

niknac1 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:59:01

I imagine they will assess your daughter and if they believe she is a danger to herself or others section her, but if she remains as a voluntary patient they will still have a duty of care. Psychosis can take a while to get under control and it’s no something they can just solve overnight I imagine. I think I am out of date now as I have recently heard of some patients staying at home because there were no beds available. I hope your daughter is able to get to a ward where they are used to mental health difficulties and can find the right medication to help her out of the psychosis. It’s a long hard road she’s going to travel and although it will be hard she will need you to be an advocate for her even if she is reluctant. I’m sorry it’s so difficult for both of you. I really hope it gets easier soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now