Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teenage DD diet

(18 Posts)
Hallamoo Sun 05-Nov-17 15:42:29

My 16 year old DD is vegetarian, but has an awful diet. Lives mostly on pasta 'mugshots', super noodles, pringles and McDonalds.

If she's home, she will eat whatever meal I have cooked, including vegetables, but she is often out in the evenings with her friends, or they will go to McDonalds at lunchtime from college and then she's not hungry to eat the evening meal I've cooked.

Breakfast is another issue. She says we don't have anything in for breakfast. When I point out the array of breakfast cereals, toast and toast toppings, eggs, fruit, yoghurt etc. She says she'd rather have pain au chocolate, croissants or cheese on toast for breakfast.

As a small child she ate everything I put in front of her, but now her diet is extremely limited.

I have been veggie for over 30 years, so that's not the issue, but her lack of variety, and her over reliance on processsed foods is!

Does anyone have any suggestions for 'healthy' fast food or things she can take to college with her to stop her buying rubbish.

In work full time, so don't have lots of time to make everything from scratch, but usually make home cooked evening meals every day.

Sorry that's so long, any suggestions welcome!

LoniceraJaponica Sun 05-Nov-17 15:45:33

If she is 16 surely she has too much homework to be out most evenings? I assume she is in year 12?

ivenoideawhatimdoing Sun 05-Nov-17 15:48:30

Sorry you’re worrying, OP!

I remember being her age - I lived on shite. Put two stone on at college!

I know they’re not great but could you get some of the Belvita bars? They have started doing softbakes which are lovely and quite ‘cookieish’

For lunch what about a pasta pot? Like the chilled ones from the supermarket. Chicken and pesto, tomato and cheese sort of thing? Again, not the healthiest but far better than McDonald’s.

Healthier upgrades may be getting baked crisps instead of normal. The Itsu instant noodles or the naked ones instead of pot noodles?

I know it’s not exactly Jamie Oliver standard but at that age if she wants it, she will buy it herself if you don’t.

Worst comes to worst - make her go cold turkey! Make her a sandwich and fruit!

Hallamoo Sun 05-Nov-17 15:53:32

Yes she's in year 12, has long days at college, doesn't get home until 6.30/7 some evenings, so she will have snacked on rubbish on the train and won't be hungry for the dinner I've cooked.

She makes her own sandwich, but often ends up leaving it at home or at the bottom of her bag and buying something instead (which I do not find, I hasten to add).

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 15:56:54

It's hard. I have a 16yo DD.
Cheese on toast is a decent breakfast, I'd be happy with that!

DD will take to her room & eat a big box of nice grapes.

Who pays for the junk food meals your DD buys?

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 15:57:22

Croissants aren't so bad either, just make it the plain kind not the sugary ones.

Hallamoo Sun 05-Nov-17 17:10:54

She buys her own junk food!

I could make croissants, but then I have 3 other younger DC who would also want croissants every day! For a weekend maybe, but surely not every day?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 05-Nov-17 18:55:26

How does she get enough money to eat out every lunch OP and what does she eat when she’s out?

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 20:58:14

make croissants? Wow, you know how to make croissants.

Do they not sell croissants where you live, or do you find them too expensive?
My other kids wouldn't all want croissants daily, so fair enough if you find that too expensive. I'm lucky to have porridge & bagel eaters (35p/breakfast).

Hallamoo Sun 05-Nov-17 21:24:20

She has 2 part time jobs, she earn approx £50 per week. She has no other outgoings.

When I say 'make' croissants, I mean the jus-rol ones that come in a tin that you roll out, but that would be too expensive for every day, I would love it if she ate porridge at 35p a go, but she won't - that's why I was asking for suggestions.

Hallamoo Sun 05-Nov-17 21:26:05

She buys; dairylea dunkers, mini quorn sausages, pasta pots/packets, and crisps mostly. Processed rubbish.

Sentimentallentil Sun 05-Nov-17 21:30:57

I agree that the best thing might be to do healthy upgrades rather than try shake it up too much.
I ate so much shit at that age, I have no idea how I did it to be honest.

How about making a big batch of banana muffins, or a loaf of banana bread for breakfast? It seems like a pain in the arse but it’s just mashing stuff together and just as easy as the rus rols. You/she could make one on a Sunday and freeze some.
You can make savoury ones two where you put egg and cheese and some veg in muffin trays and cook them for 15 minutes and just keep them in the fridge.

Sentimentallentil Sun 05-Nov-17 21:31:34

*too blush

Sentimentallentil Sun 05-Nov-17 21:33:16

Long days are tough, maybe hummous and carrot dippers instead of dairylea?

overnightangel Sun 05-Nov-17 21:37:17

“Cheese on toast is a decent breakfast”
Really?

VioletCharlotte Sun 05-Nov-17 21:45:34

My teen DS are the same OP (18 and 16).
Neither eat breakfast during the week. Caught DS2 eating bacon frazzles for breakfast this morning.
Lunch is Greggs or McDonalds or similar during the week when they're at college. Weekends they'll make themselves a pot noodle, chicken nuggets, or similar .
They'll eat whatever I make for dinner.
After dinner they snack on sweets/ crisps/ ice lollies or fizzy drinks.

I wouldn't be able to function if I ate all that shite, but according to my mother I was the same at that age.

The problem is when they're working and have they own money, they can buy what hey like hmm

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 21:47:39

Tesco 8 pack of croissants, £1.60. So 2 of those with a little butter, =540 kcal which is enough for breakfast, for under 50p.

Okay, so JusRol is available, 2 rolls for £3 at ASDA. Each JusRol can make 6 croissants (apparently). That would mean 25p per croissant, or maybe just under 60p for 2 croissants for breakfast.

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 21:48:23

@overnightangel, what do you think the OP should get her DD to eat for breakfast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now