Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Connecting with teenage DDs

(4 Posts)
Wotrewelookinat Sun 29-Oct-17 07:56:49

My DH is finding the teenage years hard in that he is feeling a distance between himself and our 3 teenage daughters and doesn’t know how to connect with them anymore. They obviously spend quite a bit of time in their rooms when at home. Any suggestions please?

GetMeOut Sun 29-Oct-17 09:41:55

Find a box set they can enjoy together ? My DD and father ( who is ex DH ) discuss the walking dead and play chess on line together ( slightly different I know ) but I have been pleased that they have managed to find something in common. It's not easy.
I connected with my father when I was a teen through sport. I still watch Match of the Day as it reminds me of him ....

PurplePumpkinHead Sun 29-Oct-17 10:19:45

They need to find something they can do together. Cinema, a sport, whatever works for them. And chat in the car about random stuff on the way to/from. Side by side talking works great for teens. Just don't talk about homework, revision etc.

BackforGood Sun 29-Oct-17 23:08:41

What Purple said. Talking en-route to hobby (or anything else they are being driven to) is far more comfortable for teens than specific 'set up' chats.
If it is a shared interest - sport, music, etc., it gives a base for the conversation and free flow of chatter without pressure. As, indeed, does eating together every night, as a habit (not sure how well it would work if you haven't done that historically though).
Mine have all always loved a bit of 1:1 time too - nipping out for lunch where their siblings aren't there, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now