Advanced search

Help! 16year old Student Boarder

(5 Posts)
thilly Thu 26-Oct-17 21:02:16

I’ve been lurking for a while but I’m in great need of Mumsnet wisdom!

6 weeks ago I took on a lad who’s 16 and doing an apprenticeship at the local college.
My agreement/contract was with his parents and loco parentis was agreed.

He’s since decided he’d rather live elsewhere, and has announced he’s moving out tomorrow. -rent etc is another issue!

My concern is I don’t seem to be able to get hold of his parents, haven’t heard a peep from them about him moving out, and he plans on moving during the working day tomorrow -into a house with 2 other 18yo’s from his course.

Can I let him leave? I’m very uncomfortable about the whole situation, to the point I’m considering ringing his college etc tomorrow to speak to pastoral about it.

Cookies if you made it this far biscuitbiscuitbiscuit

traviata Thu 26-Oct-17 21:07:17

Well you can't exactly make him stay unless you lock him in.

I think your plan of ringing his college is a good idea, and keep trying to contact his parents.

Are you owed rent now?

derekthe1adyhamster Thu 26-Oct-17 21:12:13

Can you ask him to contact his parents and ask them to contact you. I would be very uneasy about this. Who will be in loco parentis if he leaves? You or the college?

thilly Thu 26-Oct-17 21:20:00

My understanding is I will still be loco parentis, as the college are only responsible whilst he’s in classes?

I’ll keep trying to get hold of them, he’s a very very young 16 and he’s struggled even with the support from me around looking after things.

I don’t want to cause problems for the lad but it’s all the more difficult as his parents have moved to Southern Ireland since he moved in with me!

CauliflowerSqueeze Thu 26-Oct-17 21:27:49

The college should have the parents’ contact details. You need to speak to them. I would say you should tell him that he needs to remain with you until his parents are aware of his movements. You can’t rugby tackle him to the floor but you can tell him he’s not allowed to move out until his parents are aware through you. If he does move out and you can’t get hold of the parents then you need to alert Social Care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: