Talk

Advanced search

imposing time limits on screen time for teenagers

(5 Posts)
Mynameisjen Thu 19-Oct-17 20:51:46

My son is in his final year of secondary and is studying for his GCSEs. If he had his choice he would spend all his time playing games on his laptop or Xbox, with breaks for sleep and eating.

I want to impose rules/limits on the time he spends on the computer, but I’m interested to see whether other people have done this and what the limits are.

Given that this is a pretty crucial year I think it’s important.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 19-Oct-17 20:57:10

Absolutely during this year.

For DD1 we had in GCSE year:
- laptop upstairs for h/w majorly locked down with games and social media sites blocked
- laptop downstairs for games only for use in relaxing times
- fresh air every day
- fixed bedtime / lights out

Maybe negotiate and draw up a written agreement?

LittleLights Thu 19-Oct-17 20:57:33

One teen has 5pm-8pm everyday, it's down to them to make sure homework is also done during this time.

Another teen has 9pm-11pm as otherwise they stay up all night shouting at the screen disturbing everyone else.

And one has no limits at all as they have never really had a problem with getting off when needed or not doing homework etc

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 20-Oct-17 10:18:35

I don't impose limits but do expect lights out at a reasonable time and they do Pomodoro study sessions away from their room. They also have other activities, DofE and Scouts that takes them away from it. As long as their school work is done and they've done study time then I think how they choose to spend their leisure is up to them. If they go to Uni they will need to have learnt self control.

Mine choose to come home and chill out for 20/30 minutes and then do half their study, have dinner and then the other half. That generally leaves their evenings free from half 6/7 to do what they like.

DS2 also does his guitar practice in his "free" time.

50Sometimes Mon 23-Oct-17 20:12:36

Wireless Router KoalaSafe? Look it up on Amazon. If my son was younger I'd probably have bought this! I still might! Some routers you can put these kind of parental controls on - I have Sky though and I don't think they let you.

TeenTimesTwo games and social media sites - how did you block them?

A reasonable bedtime I agree very important. With some children its easier to enforce than others of course. But I think thats v important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now