Talk

Advanced search

Any orthodontists around?

(11 Posts)
DorothyL Mon 16-Oct-17 19:32:50

Dd is hating her removable braces and only wearing them about 50 % oc the time when she was told all the time.
Is that basically the same as not wearing them at all, or will sth happen, albeit slowly?

DorothyL Mon 16-Oct-17 20:01:04

Hopeful bump!

dementedpixie Mon 16-Oct-17 20:03:18

What are the removable braces hoping to achieve? Dd had some to change her bite that she kept in all the time except when they were getting cleaned

DorothyL Mon 16-Oct-17 20:08:40

Yes it's to change the bite.

dementedpixie Mon 16-Oct-17 20:12:41

It will probably just prolong everything. Dd got used to hers very quickly but the first couple of days were awful especially when she tried to eat

LIZS Mon 16-Oct-17 20:13:48

Is it twin blocks? The more she wears them the quicker that phase is over. They try to time using them while a growth spurt is happening to avoid prolonging it. Ds took his out to eat but otherwise wore them full time.

Joey1925 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:35:03

My ds also has removable braces. He also hates wearing them and only wears them about 10 minutes per day, much to our total frustration. Not really too sure what to do..

Joey1925 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:35:32

My ds also has removable braces. He also hates wearing them and only wears them about 10 minutes per day, much to our total frustration. Not really too sure what to do..

DorothyL Mon 16-Oct-17 20:50:36

It's so frustrating isn't it!!

Hotheadwheresthecoldbath Mon 16-Oct-17 23:33:11

My dd was the first to get them n her friend group but they are becoming more commonly used.She took them out for eating but managed to keep them in the rest of the time.I think she was spurred on after her first after appointment when her teeth had moved so much.
She had to widen the top brace too but managed it all with just the promise of some Ben and Jerry's after each visit to ease any pain(which she never got).
We are out the other side now,fixed braces off.
I think she had to want to do it,even if she just wore them at home and night that would be better and maybe if that meant she had a measurable change in her bite it would encourage her.I think having people at school is a help too,it can become a competition as to who gets their fixed braces first.
But persist,it really is worth it.

ifonly4 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:10:21

My DD's orthodontist told us the key for DD was doing it at the right time when her bones were growing and therefore the jaw bones were growing and more likely to permanently stay in place. I don't know how long this time is, but I'd say would be far better to keep the braces in and they are permanently fused in the correct position. What your DD won't want is to find when she's no longer wearing the braces, her jaw moves part way back into position, as there's only so much they can do with permanent braces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now