Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

College trip to India, any advice ?

(6 Posts)
Hanorah Thu 12-Oct-17 13:44:08

My DSs are in the first year of college and have the chance to go on a trip to India next Feb. The college runs it every year, they fundraise for an orphanage and visit there, and also do some general tourist stuff.

I would love to hear from anyone whose kids have done something like this. Any tips, advice, anything to be wary of ? We have travelled a fair amount as a family but I've never been to India.

bluebells1 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:25:10

I have been to India a few times and can definitely help if you know roughly which region they would go to. I have been to Goa, Kerala, Bombay, Delhi, Jaypor etc. The truth is, people are very friendly and don't think twice about helping others. Hygiene is dodgy so best to drink bottled water and from a clean restaurant. Stay on the conservative side when it comes to clothing and be respectful of their culture.

Hanorah Fri 13-Oct-17 18:04:44

Thanks Bluebells. They are spending the first few days in Mumbai, then getting the overnight train to Jaipur.

specialsubject Sun 15-Oct-17 16:52:36

Orphanage visit eh? Not a good sign. ..

Is this just an overpriced holiday with a bit of voluntourism?

Hanorah Sun 15-Oct-17 20:03:59

specialsubject asked "Is this just an overpriced holiday with a bit of voluntourism?"

I think that is probably a reasonable description, yes. I figured it would be a good intermediate stage between travelling with us, where everything is taken care of for them and we stay in nice hotels, and backpacking on a budget which I'm sure they'll want to do within the next few years.

specialsubject Mon 16-Oct-17 09:48:05

Refreshingly honest!

Go look up voluntourism and why it shouldn't be done, especially in orphanages. Loads of useful volunteering to be done in the UK. Best way to support abroad is to go as a tourist and spend cash, not take work or cause problems for kids.

The solution to the intermediate holiday stage that you describe is to wait until they are mature enough to travel alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now