Talk

Advanced search

To know what to let them watch?

(9 Posts)
vilamoura2003 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:23:44

My DD is nearly 13 and is asking to watch Hunted tonight 🤔 She is starting to stay up until 9pm but is obviously seeing programmes advertised on the telly. The programmes don’t seem to have an age rating ascribed to them 🤔

She also loves programmes like Ambulance and Hospital again I am not sure whether that is appropriate - what does everyone else let their 13 year olds watch?

I drew the line when she said she wanted to watch Love Island 😱

moomoogalicious Tue 10-Oct-17 19:28:51

Depends if you mind swearing. With my 10yo i watch Ambulance, hospital, gogglebox (ffwd any rude bits). With the teens have i got news for you, bear grylls island, keith lemon. Have to be really careful with dramas after 9pm due to the sexual content

moomoogalicious Tue 10-Oct-17 19:29:28

Teens = 13yo and 15yo

vilamoura2003 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:50:02

She has seen programmes with language and I have always joked that I would wash her mouth out with soapy water 😂 In reality I think she hears worse language at school - there are some horrid children in her class who are real potty mouthed and a lad who had Tourette’s was in her class at school from year 3 and had terrible language 🙄

buckingfrolicks Tue 10-Oct-17 20:11:23

I let mine watch anything funny (Bottom eg) from about 10. Swearing is not an issue for us. Violence was ok so eg Phonebooth and Kill Bill at 14. Anything demeaning of women was a big no. This generally meant any and all films with torrid sex were out. Then by age 16 watch what you like but remember you can’t wash your eyes afterwards.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 13-Oct-17 21:00:12

My 13 yo watched Hunted. The thing I was most worried about was letting him stay up so late in the week.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 13-Oct-17 22:38:09

Ds(13) asked to watch a Netflix cartoon called Big Mouth (rated 15) because EVERYONE else was watching it. I usually check common sense media, you tube clips, IMDb. He didn't get to watch it.

lisatried Sun 15-Oct-17 14:04:49

I've found it's absolutely pointless trying to control once they have a phone - they seem to be able to find anything. And yes, it has got controls. They bypass them, or their friends do. Public wifi is everywhere, so not much you can actually do if they are determined IME, other than talk to them about why there's some stuff you don't think is great for them. Do they listen? Hmmmmmmm!

Fecks Sun 15-Oct-17 15:11:50

There are several websites that will give you an idea. Lots are American so may not cover UK tv.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: