Talk

Advanced search

Why are teenagers so rude?!?!?!?

(32 Posts)
MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:26:25

Just that really. I got told to "listen up" and to "I'll expect you to do as I've asked, thanks" by a 15 year old today. What the actual fuck?!?! Why are they so rude? My teen might be rude to another child but would never dream of speaking to adults so rudely. Where are children getting this cheek from?!

quaqua Thu 28-Sep-17 20:26:57

Most of the teens I know aren't rude.

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 28-Sep-17 20:28:05

Who said that to you? I wouldn't have it!

Oakmaiden Thu 28-Sep-17 20:28:17

I don't think teenagers are, in particular.

Some PEOPLE are rude and some of them happen to be teenagers....

Who was this teenager anyway? Why were they talking to you?

MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:28:21

Quaqua I'd like to live somewhere where I could say that too.

donajimena Thu 28-Sep-17 20:28:36

My teen is rude as hell to me but everyone outside the home says he's a credit to me. Is this your teen or another?

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Thu 28-Sep-17 20:28:44

Sometimes my teen is unintentionally rude (speaking to me as she would her friends, blurred boundaries moments) but nothing like you describe, OP. Are these your children or do you work with young people?

MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:30:57

Yes I agree actually about it being PEOPLE in general. It was a girl my DD has fallen out with who thought it appropriate to start on her in front of me.

quaqua Thu 28-Sep-17 20:32:53

If she thinks it's appropriate to start on your dd in front of you, she clearly has no boundaries. Not representative of teenagers in general though IMO.

ProperLavs Thu 28-Sep-17 20:33:34

She's a teen and she happens to be rude. I bet she will be a rude adult too.

MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:33:56

@DuckoffautocorrectYouShiv I know what you mean. My DD forgets herself sometimes too and of course I accept that. But telling a 40 yr old woman to "listen up" is not on.

pinkbraces Thu 28-Sep-17 20:35:36

Is that teens as a group or just the one you encountered? In my experience most teens are lovely, just like most people are lovely.

MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:36:17

Definitely has no boundaries and yes she probably will be a rude teen.

Dawnedlightly Thu 28-Sep-17 20:37:42

Who said that? shock

MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:38:22

@pinkbraces I'm talking solely about the ones I've encountered, not the entire teen population.

Dawnedlightly Thu 28-Sep-17 20:39:37

Ach sorry, you'd updated before I'd posted.
I think it's vv unusual.

MummaDeeDee Thu 28-Sep-17 20:43:58

I hope so Dawnedlightly

misshelena Fri 29-Sep-17 13:26:48

I got told to "listen up" and to "I'll expect you to do as I've asked, thanks" by a 15 year old today.

But why would she direct those words at you? If she was fighting with your dd, why would she say those words to you? Did you join the fight to defend your dd?

corythatwas Fri 29-Sep-17 14:53:47

Some PEOPLE are rude and some of them happen to be teenagers....

This.

Worst horror stories from my dd (working in catering) involves either young children addressing the au pair in front of their mother, middle-aged male academics, and teachers from local secondary school who seem to think their position in the workplace corresponds to some similar position in the outside world. In other words, people of all ages who for one reason or other have internalised the message that they are more important than anybody else around.

Eolian Fri 29-Sep-17 15:05:02

Almost all of the rude people I've ever met in my life have been teenagers, but then I'm a secondary teacher. I am polite to them, but this is often not reciprocated. Obviously there are lots of nice teenagers too, but a depressingly large number of very rude ones.

MummaDeeDee Fri 29-Sep-17 18:34:32

@MissHelena she directed it at me because she told me to "sort my daughter out" and I responded with "I think you can sort this out between yourselves".
@Eolian sadly I'd have to agree.

MummaDeeDee Fri 29-Sep-17 18:37:23

I'm not about to argue with a 15 year old but I'm not going to take rudeness from one either. It just drives me nuts that people/teens can be so rude!!! It's horrible.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 29-Sep-17 18:37:45

I work with teenagers (support staff in a secondary school). See about 20 each day (different ones each time). Haven't yet had one be rude to me.

Eolian Fri 29-Sep-17 19:24:39

Wow, TheSecondIfHerName - I have worked with many many support staff and I'm pretty sure none of them would be able to say that. You either work in an unusual school or you have super powers.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 29-Sep-17 19:34:32

Many of the students come from cultural backgrounds where a lot of respect is shown to teachers, so I get some respect by osmosis. Have only been doing this role for a year, so maybe the rudeness is yet to come.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: