Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teenagers & weed

(27 Posts)
Hueandcry Thu 28-Sep-17 12:45:54

Please tell me if teenagers smoking weed is the norm these days? Ds, 15, tells me it is & it's less harmful than drinking alcohol

Olivebrach Thu 28-Sep-17 13:09:43

Yes it can be less harmful than alcohol. Teenagers have always smoked weed surely. It is dependent on the individual, my dp has smoked since 15 and is perfectly balanced, employed and wonderful father. Others it can impact there confidence and mental health.
Like alcohol, it is about balance, no teenager should be drinking or smoking to excess, but most teens will probably try both

Chocrock Sun 01-Oct-17 15:01:18

I think that more people in general smoke weed than ever before. I seem to smell it all the time walking around central London. It isn't hidden in the way it was when I was a teenager.

millifiori Sun 01-Oct-17 15:04:43

My teens say it's very common. They're insistent it's as afe as or safer than alcohol which it isn't. We've had some heated debates about this. It's far stronger than it used to be and illegal so you don't always know what you're getting. But they've not tried it. I'd know, as I'm allergic to it, so the merest sniff of it on clothes makes me vomit, which makes me massively biased against it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 01-Oct-17 15:06:58

It's not good for teenage developing brains that's for sure. I wouldn't be happy at all. Kids have always smoked it but don't let him fib you off with 'everyone does it!'

BertieBotts Sun 01-Oct-17 15:07:57

It's as common as it always was. The weed which is around these days tends to be skunk which is genetically engineered to be stronger and contain more THC than the weed of the 60s and 70s.

It's not harmless especially to developing brains. It's thought to be less harmful when the person taking it is over 25. It can lead to anxiety and obsessive behaviours.

Regardless, your house your rules - you have the right to object no matter if the whole world is doing it! And remember it is still illegal.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 01-Oct-17 15:08:52

It's definitely stronger these days.

surferjet Sun 01-Oct-17 15:09:22

My ds( 17 ) says it’s very common. I’d far rather he smoked weed than took some of the other drugs that are ‘all the rage’ atm.

WhyDidIEatThat Sun 01-Oct-17 15:11:17

My (late twenties so long since not a teen!) sent me this recently www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/02/23/clever-teenagers-twice-likely-smoke-cannabis-due-curious-minds/

WaveWash Sun 01-Oct-17 15:31:57

I'm really glad my DCs didn't smoke weed. My Dad has used various drugs all his life and says that some weed is extremely strong these days. I'm not too fussed about adults smoking weeds but I think the combination of teen brains and weed is a bad one. I've twice seen teens having a psychotic experience having smoked weed. Two different boys. I've no idea what happened to the boys long term but it was scarey to watch. One was convinced he was about to be murdered.
Its not possible to know if the high link between weed use and mental health issues is because weed causes mental health issues or because having mental health issues means you are more likely to use weed but either way I don't think it's worth the risk

missyB1 Sun 01-Oct-17 15:38:46

I'm sure Teens smoking weed will say anything to justify it, but of course Teens dont actually know everything - they just think they do! The bottom line Teenagers are risk takers and dont tend to think long term, they live in the present.
The type of weed being sold on the streets now is a problem its very strong and is harmful to developing brains.

DemonBaby Sun 01-Oct-17 15:39:51

My DBro 16 does it. I'm not remotely happy about it but what can I do.

I'd not be happy about him drinking either.

Auntiedahlia Sun 01-Oct-17 15:43:47

Those from families who smoke it will say it's fine. Those who don't will say it stinks and is potentially harmful. None of mine smoked/smoke it, and think it's a pretty lame thing to do.

Silver47 Sun 01-Oct-17 15:44:59

It is absolutely not less harmful than alcohol, it permanently lowers IQ and cognitive ability when smoked before being fully physically mature, ( around 25) it cause paranoia, ( very common side affect indeed) it causes other mental illnesses. 9 less common) it impairs judgement. it is one of the biggest single causes of educational underachievement, it breaks up relationships and families due to the paranoia and psychological dependency. it is devastating to life chances of the smoker. plus of cause, it causes cancer.

Quite apart from the fact it ruins the lives of smokers, who choose to take it, it destroys the lives of thousands of young male slaves trafficked into the UK to work in the cannabis industry, these are often the brothers of girls put into prostitution. Children as young as 10 or 11 forced to work 12+ hours a day, never allowed outside, denied an education, unpaid, undernourished, all to provide cheap weed to selfish, arrogant uk teens who reckon its no more harmful than alcohol.

BertieBotts Sun 01-Oct-17 16:38:34

It's got quite a high risk of nicotine addiction added too as most people smoke it with tobacco. DH got addicted to smoking that way. He hasn't smoked weed for many years but still vapes nicotine.

Like any drug, many people use it and are totally fine - I'm not sure any anti drug campaign with a message of "This is Absolutely Definitely going to ruin your life and/or kill you" is helpful because young people look at their peers and slightly older young people they look up to who do these things and are neither dead nor fit their idea of a stereotypical junkie, and will think well, all of that anti drugs stuff is just wrong, isn't it?

The problem is that you can't tell in advance if you're going to have a problem with something or you're going to be able to use it safely. Teens tend to think "Oh that won't happen to me!" but they all think that until it does.

MaybeDoctor Sun 01-Oct-17 18:50:46

Smoking weed is not a victimless crime.

See recent guardian features on trafficked labour being used on weed farms. Plus the links to organised crime and prostitution.

At the very least the farmers steal huge amounts of power from the national grid.

millifiori Sun 01-Oct-17 19:30:46

Maybe those Guardian features were heartbreaking. Vicious child slavery and isolation under our noses.

Olivebrach Fri 20-Oct-17 15:51:51

Ok then silver47...... You sound very sure. I smoked very regularly from 17-21 and got 1st class degree, and the highest mark in the year.

It does not cause mental illnesses. It can bring out traits in those who already have mental illnesses yes.
But can not just develop them.

Cannabis does definitely not cause cancer. Studies have shown cannabis to help reduce cancers and help those suffering deal with symptoms.

Not sure where your getting your information from.

Yes, there is a concerning issue around the trafficking and slavery. But this is not a cannabis issue. It is due to the prohibition of drugs.

Ohyesiam Fri 20-Oct-17 15:57:45

It is common, and it's very strong these days. Lots lots more cases of THC induced psychosis now than 20 years ago.

MaybeDoctor Sat 21-Oct-17 16:16:09

I don't think it's enough to shrug our shoulders and say that's just due to prohibition.

If you buy it, you are making it worthwhile for the gangs to carry out those inhuman acts.

The only ethical way to smoke it would be to grow it yourself. But I am not sure on that, so am willing to be corrected.

50Sometimes Mon 23-Oct-17 18:54:38

Saying "everybody does it" is so lame! Never a reason to do anything. This is something young people are too young to know! Why they need guidance from their parents why we all need guidance sometimes

Yes weed is more common these days amongst young people, sometimes really young, and as others have said its a lot stronger chemically. It is definitely something to be discouraged to my mind. It can cause permanent brain damage, especially with a teenager's growing brain. It can become a bad habit and as others say its linked with nicotine addiction.

I guess young people may try it at some point - but hopefully not till they're much older e.g. at a party or with friends. I think parents having a conversation with their young teenagers about the strength of weed and the damage it can do is really worth having. Most teenagers haven't a clue and only parrot the "its harmless" script.

19lottie82 Mon 23-Oct-17 20:30:07

It may be normal amongst his peers, but does that mean you should allow your 15 year old to smoke it? No way!
If you do so then you’re a crap parent.

Kareninfrance Wed 25-Oct-17 07:27:03

It is a major problem everywhere and wrecks families - going through hell with my 17 year okd it has changed him completely. They get into a click of stoners then move onto other things

Hueandcry Mon 30-Oct-17 03:52:26

Things going from bad to worse. Half term here & he has been smoking every day for the past 2 weeks. Refuses to see or speak to his Dad (divorced) so i have no life. I'm at my wits end & dont know what to do. Have sent him links to websites detailing the harm it can do but he just says 'stop sending me stuff as I wont read it'

Ttbb Mon 30-Oct-17 04:01:39

Pfft last I checked, alcohol doesn't trigger schizophrenia. Weed does though. It's also an incredible waste of time. Only borbing people smoke weed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now