Talk

Advanced search

Prom night

(8 Posts)
Ceefax101 Sat 08-Jul-17 00:02:02

I didn't think I'd be bothered by this but I have been after seeing the photos. DS hasn't managed school for years- dx of ASD, anxiety, OCD but has kept up with work. I doubt he would have gone to the prom if he had still been there as not his thing. Seeing all the kids we've known for years and years on fb in their dresses and suits has given me a bit of a wobble. We've had such an awful time with DS. They all looked so lovely. Anyone else like this?

OP’s posts: |
SuperPug Sat 08-Jul-17 00:08:41

Photos show the best bit of the night. They won't show any arguments, break ups, squabbles etc. These evenings are always a bit of a nightmare TBH.

Peanutbuttercheese Sat 08-Jul-17 00:18:13

I think the point is regardless of what actually happened that due to his issues you feel he is an outsider. So whilst some may have had a really lovely night and some may not the point the poster is making he isn't there to even have the crappy stuff let alone the nice stuff.

It's very hard when dc don't fit in, I was a rather a bookworm when at school though problems not as serious as your son. All I ever wanted was for my DS to fit in and not feel excluded.

I think your allowed to feel sad and I also hope that you are getting some support in this. It's good he has been able to carry in with his schoolwork.

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sat 08-Jul-17 00:30:29

I know how you feel Ceefax. flowers brewcake

(DS1 isn't diagnosed but has some obvious ASD traits and friends with Aspie DCs have mentioned that he is very similar to their DCs.)

He didn't want to go to his prom at all. Seeing all his mates dressed up and happy made me feel a bit sad that he was missing out. His GF went but came home to see him after an hour or two as it wasn't her scene either.

They have great times doing their own thing together, so although he's not into big group things, he still has (his own version of) fun!

On the plus side, I don't need to worry about drink and drugs - all his mates partake, all smoke and sleep around etc. Sounds naive I know, but at 17 he is adamant he has never had a drink, smoked or tried any drugs and I believe him.

My other DCs are also showing signs of growing up outside of the main social circles and I'm really proud that they are finding their own paths rather than following the herd.

Ceefax101 Sat 08-Jul-17 00:31:36

Thank you both, I'll be fine tomorrow I'm sure. It's just bloody hard sometimes. Our life with him is all about CAMHS, mental health issues and meetings. I've lost friends -parents of these kids- as they just don't know what to say to me. Hopefully one day things might improve.

blimppy Sat 08-Jul-17 10:21:01

I have similar feelings about DD1. She has ASD and MH problems and had to leave 6th form last year. It's hard seeing her peers now heading off to uni, and seeming so grown up and "together". But, my DD is doing really well in many ways. She is progressing with an apprenticeship and, while it's taking a bit longer, she is growing up and I'm incredibly proud of the strength of character she has shown in dealing with her problems. I hope things get better for you too.

emochild Sat 08-Jul-17 11:27:55

Same here

My year 10 dd hasn't attended school since the beginning of yr 8 due to MH issues linked to her ASD

In primary she was in mixed year group so a lot of this year's leavers were friends

It's moments like these that you realise just how different our children are

Ceefax101 Sat 08-Jul-17 13:20:03

It really is. I hope they had a lovely time. I've grown to accept that this is how it will be over the years but last night just got to me a little. Our poor kids.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in