Talk

Advanced search

DD's heavy period and school trip

(44 Posts)
Falconhoof1 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:17:00

My DD started her period 4 months ago and it's been really heavy each time, with leaks at night. She's going on a school trip in 2 wks and her period is due while away. She's terrified of having a leak on her sheets and she's getting anxious. Any tips?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Thu 01-Jun-17 21:18:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crumbs1 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:19:34

I'm guessing you wouldn't consider hormonal tablets to delay the period?

CormorantDevouringTime Thu 01-Jun-17 21:20:04

There are tablets you can take to delay your period. GP can prescribe or you can buy privately online.

dementedpixie Thu 01-Jun-17 21:20:13

What sanitary towels does she use? My dd found the teen ones too short and wears big bulky kotex ones instead (she prefers them rather than the thin ones). She has not leaked at night since using their night towels too

dglv Thu 01-Jun-17 21:21:00

I feel her pain! When I was younger I'd use on pad placed normally, and another at the front/back with another pair of knickers over the top! I also used to find myself sleeping in certain positions to avoid leaks! sad It was horrible!

Thankfully now you can buy some very heavy duty pads if that's any help?

CinderellasBroom Thu 01-Jun-17 21:21:56

Diary Doll pants? You might need a few pairs, depending how long she's away for.

Lindor Thu 01-Jun-17 21:23:07

delay her period with medication if possible. She won't relax and enjoy herself if she's worrying.

GardenGeek Thu 01-Jun-17 21:25:59

I am just trying noristorene period delay for the first time (literally now - c. 5 days delayed so far) and they are excellent. I was worried as I have a bad reaction to the pill in that I have all day 'morning' sickness but none with these.

Although they do make your 'delayed' period even worse apparently - heavier/more crampy. So yet to see if this happens with me.

I am using them because my period clashes with glastonbury so I am delaying this period currently instead of the Glasto one IYSWIM - as wasn't sure how I would react, so wanted to do in advance.

There are risks related to this pill such as blood clots etc. so if she's on a long coach it may be something you decide is not worth the risk. And likewise if you have family history of such problems.

If you think its worth a shot then have a go, personally I have found them fantastic and if she doesn't like them then you can just stop and have the period anyway.

Applesandpears23 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:27:42

Tena lady incontinence pads and a couple of layers of knickers then shorts or pj trousers.

Couldashouldawoulda Thu 01-Jun-17 21:28:15

An extra pair of sturdy pants/boxers to wear over knickers at night. Helps hold a pad in place. Also dark coloured pjs/nightie, just in case.

CupOfTeaAndAGoodBook Thu 01-Jun-17 21:28:16

I used to set myself an alarm, get up and change the pad half way through the night. Not nice, but worked!

myheadsamess Thu 01-Jun-17 21:29:04

Both my girls used noristhiserone tablets at that age to prevent their period coming. For one of them it means her subsequent period is heavier but doesn't seem to affect the other one in the same way.

Please don't use an old towel - she'd be mortified and it's a bit grim when there a safe & convenient solution blush

NapQueen Thu 01-Jun-17 21:29:12

Pair of Thinx?

www.shethinx.com/

Asmoto Thu 01-Jun-17 21:30:05

Sending sympathy - this exact thing happened to me on a school trip when I was thirteen. I did leak onto my sheet and I was mortified. I hope you can find a solution for your DD.

pop000 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:32:23

Sounds really odd but... you can buy absorbent disposable pants by Tena. I had some ready for the blood loss after giving birth. They were amazing and they do more 'discreet' versions now so you don't leak at all. Boots sell them

Etymology23 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:33:55

Double up tampon plus proper night time pads. Big pants, red/dark coloured pjs so you can't see anything.

Or northisterone (sp?). I'm on the pill because I hated this kind of thing.

Falconhoof1 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:33:58

Thanks for suggestions! I will try and speak to GP about delaying it. She's tried the sleeping on a towel thing but it just shifts about and she ended up with a bloody towel and sheet! Poor soul, I bled all over a bed while staying at a friend's house once. Awful.

randomsabreuse Thu 01-Jun-17 21:34:41

Cycling shorts over night time pad works well for me.

Akire Thu 01-Jun-17 21:38:19

Yes Tena pull ups work for me, even with big night time
Pad I will leak out sides or front or back. Then you can actual move around at night and get some
Sleep. They are slim enough so can't see under pjs as they will not be getting wet and bulky.

Passthecake30 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:42:01

I second the big fat Kotex type nappies pads.

GardenGeek Thu 01-Jun-17 21:47:01

You can order on Boots online but they can take a while to process (c. 10 days) and depending on her age they may not prescribe without GP - not sure if 16 or 18.

If you can manage to get to GP though it would be much better as they can do her blood pressure and that would give you some reassurance as to whether there is a risk or not.

Better to be safe than sorry.

DermotTheSprog Thu 01-Jun-17 21:51:31

My dd has extremely heavy periods for which she was prescribed Ponstan which did nothing. She has yet to find a solution to the nighttime leaks problem but when I had a very heavy and prolonged miscarriage those incontinence pants were the only way I could sleep without waking up in puddle. I will be interested to hear how you get on with the drugs to delay her period.

Falconhoof1 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:52:01

Thanks all of you. I like the Tena pants idea too.

CatsCantFlyFast Thu 01-Jun-17 21:54:41

It may not be better than other ideas but maternity pads? I was wearing three at once (overlapping; front,middle and back) and a huge pair of pants on top

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now