Talk

Advanced search

aggressive 18 year old boys

(19 Posts)
frog4 Tue 30-May-17 23:44:37

Mine has become the dominating presence in the house! Has moved xbox, tv and lap top into lounge and refuses to move it! Is not violent but uses really fowl language. However, generally refuses to communicate with me or sister and when he does it is rude. Told me today he did not like me (mutual at the moment but I would not say it!!) and that was the first time he had spoken to me in a couple of days. Am happy to try anything...

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 30-May-17 23:45:37

Get all his stuff out the lounge yourself, and tell him your rules or go get his own house. If he's violent or aggressive towards you, call the police.

Wolfiefan Tue 30-May-17 23:45:46

He's an adult. Why can't he move out? He doesn't get to steal your stuff and verbally abuse you.

BuzzKillington Tue 30-May-17 23:49:38

It's not his house - it's yours.

I have a son this age and he would not dream of being rude to his parents or swearing at us. It simply would not happen.

You need to sit down with him and explain what is acceptable.

Iluvthe80s Wed 31-May-17 09:16:30

He's legally an adult now. If he doesn't want to live by YOUR rules, in YOUR house then ask him to leave and find his own place.

frog4 Wed 31-May-17 09:21:13

Did this and it all came back again!

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 09:23:41

Did what?
He needs to act like the adult he is supposed to be and treat you and your home with some respect or leave.

frog4 Wed 31-May-17 09:24:42

I have done this on many occasions and it still has not worked. Have also explained the 'my house' rules. Am divorced and house not yet 100% mine so he reminds me of this. Ex is not interested so cant talk about it to him. He is ruder than all of his friends and some have said to their parents that they think he is wrong. So hard...

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 09:28:39

You have done what? Kicked him out?

TeenagersandFurbabies Wed 31-May-17 09:41:25

If that was my son behaving like that I would have chucked the Xbox laptop and tv out of the window ideally an upstairs one. He can't put it back in the lounge if it's broken.

heymammy Wed 31-May-17 09:46:25

He's using aggression to bully you. I recognise it as my mum has been through the same scenario with my brother (who is much older than 18 and should be ashamed of himself frankly angry).

So, you either put up with it, or stand up for yourself. Change the wifi password or move his stuff back and put a lock on the living room door. The nicely nicely approach isn't going to work I'm afraid sad.

ThouShallNotPass Wed 31-May-17 09:52:20

Who cares that the house is not 100% yours. If your name is on it and his is not then you can and should have him removed! Just because his dad's name is on it, it doesn't mean HE has a right to live there. The police will help. He's old enough to live in his own now.

frog4 Wed 31-May-17 10:55:13

Thank you to everyone - you have all confirmed exactly what I thought and believe! Thought I was going potty but I have not thrown him out as that is the last resort - not yet anyway. I have moved his stuff before and have just done it again this morning and told him yet again that I will take it all away if it comes back and I will. He said I am embarrassing myself and some other disgusting expletives. I also told him he is free to move out - again. He will not because he knows it is better living with me...

Runrabbit1 Wed 31-May-17 14:33:59

My son is the same apart from he is only 14yrs!! I've tried everything from being really nice to being really firm and nothing works. I feel for you

frog4 Wed 31-May-17 15:29:26

It is hard because they are still our children. You do not want to be horrible to them. However, there comes a time, as I have discovered that enough is enough. My son has steadily got worse. His last year at school (GCSE's) was not great but he did really well. First year of 6th form was also not great and he did not do great. He is at another 6th form and re-doing last year. School is fine but his home behaviour has got worse and to be honest I don't really know why. Either I missed the signs or blissfully ignored them. So this is where I am now. Everyone who has commented has said the same and I agree with them. I should have dealt with it earlier, not my fault but I let it happen. At 14 years I think that you can still get intervention help. My son is now an adult and this needs to stop now.

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 16:20:58

But you keep giving him ultimatums and caving in? So he thinks he can walk all over you? You're supporting him through education and he's treating you like shit? Time to man up and earn his own money. He's not a child.

Sabistick Wed 31-May-17 16:28:28

Is there another adult in the household(or well respected friend)that can tell him to behave? Does he have personal finances(student/working)?
Has he just changed (influenced by outside forces)? Its nice to understand behaviour and work to bring him into civilised behaviour , but if hes a brattish man then treat him like one.

frog4 Wed 31-May-17 20:37:45

I did not cave in but did not make good enough ultimatums! He did have a part time job but was 'influenced' into giving it up by someone and yes this person is unfortunately assisting him in this change and that is why there is no other adult in the house.
He is beginning to turn into a 'brattish man' and I have to try my best to change this without giving in.

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 20:51:00

An ultimatum can't be not good enough. I suggest you've never actually given an ultimatum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now