Talk

Advanced search

seventeen year old son's trip to Europe - hostels needed

(7 Posts)
maryrosa Tue 30-May-17 13:03:04

My seventeen year old son would like to take a trip to Europe this summer. He has a friend in Slovakia he'd like to visit (but not stay at her house) and is also interested in places like Amsterdam and Budapest. He has very little money saved so would need hostel accommodation. Does anyone know of any hostels that would take an under 18 year old? If he goes with a friend, they would also be seventeen. Is this likely to be a problem? He's worried about booking somewhere, then turning up with his ID and being turfed out onto the street because he's not 18.
Any ideas?

inspiredbutohsotired Tue 30-May-17 13:10:29

I've stayed in hostels (booked through hostelworld) in Prague, Amsterdam, Paris, lots of Swiss and German cities (I did a tour). Between 16 and 21 - i've never even been asked for ID when checking in to any of them, just gave my name and a contact number, then paid the balance. Most hostels really don't care and they're very into getting people to travel - you could always email before hand to check if you're worried though, but I really can't see it being a problem!

inspiredbutohsotired Tue 30-May-17 13:11:20

Also just to note I'm only 21 now, so it's not like this was years ago!

user1483387154 Tue 30-May-17 13:15:22

I would buy a guidebook like 'Europe on a shoestring' and contact the hostels outlined there. There is a huge amount of choice and also suggests places to visit etc with a rough price.

justwhiisitwhosvotingtory Tue 30-May-17 13:19:39

Check out the YHA and the IYHA affiliated hostels. These 'official' youth hostels are probably best. Yes they may have more rules ( no alcohol and single sex dorms) but they always used to accept unaccompanied youngsters from 14. Each national organisation has their own rules ( some of the German IYHA hostels don't take over 35s for example) but you should be able to find this before booking.

Also these hostels have to meet all the standards. Especially regarding fire regs etc which some backpacker/ pop up hostels might be more lax about.

BrexitSucks Tue 30-May-17 18:09:48

16yo DS went to Berlin with a 17yo friend.

Most German hostels will take teens under 18; down to 14yo. Dutch are similar IIRC. He may need a parental permission form, though. RyanAir only takes them age 16+ without an adult guardian. Ferry might be younger.

maryrosa Sat 10-Jun-17 10:58:08

Thanks all, this has been really encouraging. He has now booked his flight for 5 nights in Prague. He'll only just be 17, so he just wanted a bit of an adventure all on his own. There seems to be a choice of hostels right in the centre so he choosing one now. Inspiredbuttired - you mentioned Prague?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now