Talk

Advanced search

Daughter & really heavy periods

(24 Posts)
BackToBasics1808 Mon 22-May-17 10:15:44

Hi all, Not sure if this is posted in the right place but hoping you could help me.
My DD is currently 12 - she started her periods about a year ago and has luckily been quite regular since the start. However she is VERY heavy. And this has been again since the start. I thought it was because it was her body adjusting but its getting worse for her. She leaks through almost every night (even with wearing night time towels) she sometimes wears 2 to school as 1 is not always enough (she does regularly change)
I was wondering if it was worth taking her to doctors and asking to put her on the pill (not for contraceptive reasons simply to help lighten them) or what other options will be available to her??
Advice??

olderthanyouthink Mon 22-May-17 10:44:36

Menstrual cup?

HouseworkIsASin10 Mon 22-May-17 10:48:41

My dd went on the pill for heavy periods and collapsing in pain. It make a huge difference to her. She was in year 10 though.

savagehk Mon 22-May-17 10:51:04

Tampons as well? Although if she can use tampons perhaps worth trying a cup. (Didn't know about them when i was that age, but I did use tampons). There are also reusable pads, which could be made thicker, although they may be quite bulky then.

yoohooitsme Mon 22-May-17 10:55:18

Yes - she is young and has a lot of this to look forward to over the years, best tackle it now.

Also search 'period pants' on google, there are lots to choose from that claim to be leak proof and these many bring a little extra confidence while addressing the problem.

BackToBasics1808 Mon 22-May-17 11:25:10

Thanks all - will have a look on google
Someone said to me she could be anaemic? as this could cause heavy bleeds - she does tend to take herself off to her room the week before saying she is tired and grumpy but I put this down to hormones (and the fact she is a teenager so standard for them to spend hours in bed)
I have spoke about tampons but think she feels a bit freaked out about "putting" something inside her

myrtleWilson Mon 22-May-17 11:28:07

Hi Back my daughter had heavy periods but seems either to have calmed down after first few or switch to tampons has worked. I also bought her some diary doll knickers for additional peace of mind...

Watto1 Mon 22-May-17 11:30:12

Tranexamic tablets from the doctor work wonders for me. Maybe worth a try?

GoldenWondering Mon 22-May-17 11:35:35

Get her iron levels checked. The heavy bleeding could be making her anaemic and apparently anaemia can make periods heavier.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 22-May-17 11:37:39

I second diary doll knickers! My now 14 year old had incredibly heavy periods from the start at 11 y/o. After it not calming down after a few months I did take her to the gp just to check. He thought it was within the limits of normality but did a blood test anyway. Turned out she was anaemic and was put on meds. They helped her tiredness and other things she'd been having like cramps and dizziness. Two + years on and they have calmed down a bit tbh though still heavy ish.

Graphista Mon 22-May-17 11:37:49

Please don't just address the symptoms bleeding that heavily is not normal you must find the cause.

She likely is anaemic even if she wasn't before and is quite possibly deficient in other vitamins and minerals too.

Reow Mon 22-May-17 11:39:00

Mooncup! They're awesome. Then you can also measure the volume to see if it is extreme.

They take a bit of practice but are well worth it.

kel1493 Mon 22-May-17 11:42:37

I'd take her to the doctors and explain the situation. They will be able to advise what is best for her.

muckypup73 Mon 22-May-17 11:46:48

I dont see how trying tampons or cups will help, surely she will bleed just as much? she could be amemic op, get her iron levels checked, and perhaps talk to the gp about the contraceptive pill at the same time, I have been a heavy bleeder for years and it was only the pill that stopped that xx

ThatsNotMyMummy Mon 22-May-17 11:49:18

I went on the pill at the same age as your daughter for the same reason, its fucking shit bleeding through everything all the time. Its also crap trying to deal with it all at school, i can't imagine moon cups in the toilets at school would be much fun to deal with either.

Ilikesweetpeas Mon 22-May-17 11:54:27

She doesn't need to go on the pill. There are medications which she can have on prescription which will make the bleeding lighter, I had them as a teenager.

BackToBasics1808 Mon 22-May-17 11:55:53

Thanks Everyone
I'm going to take her to the doctors for a check up and see what they advise!

CeciledeVolanges Mon 22-May-17 11:57:04

I was 14 when I went on the Pill for heavy periods. I take Yasmin and get on with it really well, although there are safer pills. I would 100% recommend it, everything got better very quickly (and I didn't need it for contraceptive purposes until I was 19, it also squashes my sex drive in case that worries you, though it may not).

savagehk Mon 22-May-17 11:58:22

"I dont see how trying tampons or cups will help, surely she will bleed just as much" - yes, but she could have a tampon/cup plus a pad, and that would mean less chance of leaks and/or longer to go between changes.

CeciledeVolanges Mon 22-May-17 11:58:26

Also tampons were a revelation. The orange ones were total lifesavers.

LadyEarth Wed 24-May-17 08:38:26

My daughters all have heavy periods but were lucky enough to start when they were a bit older. I would visit the GP (find one who is intelligent about periods-some have a "just a burden women must bear" attitude). First port of call will probably be TXA, which reduces bleeding by up to half (they use it on the battlefield!), you can use this alongside a contraceptive pill which can be taken for 3 months at a time so that bleeding only happens every three months. My daughter struggled with the hormones which gave her headaches and the bleeding at 3 months was more severe and painful. Eventually she had the meriva coil (at 17). It takes a while to be effective but this is the best she has ever been and has been a real liberation.

I really urge you to address this. Even as women we don't aways understand the definition of heavy bleeding. I always thought I was about average until I started using a moon cup and read what the average blood loss was. Turns out I bled in half a day what the average women loses across her whole bleed! I thought I was a bit of a wuss and would power through difficult situations because others could. Turns out they weren't in the same situation as me.

It feels weird to muck around with girls hormones, but if they are causing health issues like anaemia it needs to be treated. No-one gives you a prize for suffering in silence!

BackToBasics1808 Thu 25-May-17 14:40:33

Thanks everyone
I took her to the doctor and they have put her on the pill. the one where she will have a break but should hopefully lighten them making them more bearable.
They did mention a non hormone option but would mean taking tablets a few days before and continuing throughout her period and to be honest I felt this would cause more stress as she would constantly be tracking etc - at least with a break taking the pill regular every day would mean she knew when to expect the bleed
I have to take her to hospital (walk in part) for blood test too to check her iron and other levels just to make sure all is ok - she is getting reviewed in 3 months so if not happy can try another option - thanks for all your responses - glad to know she's not alone and is quite common amongst young girls nowadays

londonmummy1966 Thu 25-May-17 15:14:25

Glad it is in hand - I've been lurking on this thread as my 14 yo has similar problems. Have now bought some diary dolls pants and will ask to have this looked at as she has a full medical exam next week for something else.

Brilliant that you started such a helpful thread and hope it all resolves quickly for your dd.

paganmolloy Wed 31-May-17 09:05:21

My DD (13) was put on the pill last month for the same thing. She did use tampons plus towels and still leaked. Was permanently tired. Was advised to take them continually so she doesn't have a period at all but to endure the first one to see if it has made a difference. She's been on them one month and then had her period but it was the worst one yet. So she's now taking them continually and we have another doctor's appointment for the next prescription and to enquire if there may be more underlying issues. At 13 she is just too young to have to endure this hell on top of all the other teenage s*&t and school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now